What's new

Questions about subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
As many of you know I am exploring my possibilities in a new HT setup. I am looking quite seriously at the fluance home theater set of speakers. However, from the reviews I have read they seem to be good overall but they lack low bass. Since I would like to fully experience the LFE channel I am going to need a sub. At partsexpress.com I see subwoofers but they don't seem to be in cabinets. Do I need to buy a cabinet for them? Are they expensive? and can a dumb high school kid install the woofer into the cabinet? Also, do I need to amplify the subwoofer or will the reciever do that?
Thank you all for your help

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Partsexpress does sell a complete sub kit, you do need a seperate amp (this comes in the kit ). instruction are included . yes a high-school student can install this kit , you don't have to be dumb.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
PE has 3 options sub wise. Finished subs, kits, or you buy the parts and build your own enclosure.
This is one of their finished subs:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15942&DID=7
This is a kit with everything you need, you just install the driver and amp as well as wire the two together (which is really quite simple):
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=14736&DID=7
The final option is to build the enclosure yourself and just buy the various raw parts you need from them. For sure the driver; but amps, binding posts, ports, wire and a few other things are optional as different designs will use different things and some of it you will want to buy locally instead.
This link is to a page that links to piles of projects where people designed and built their own enclosures (me being one of them):
http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I have one the non-DIY subs linked to from the previous post. It does reach to 25 hz, per my trusty RS SPL meter, which, for $100 plus shipping ain't bad. It should be a great compliment to the speakers yu are considering.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
wow, that DLS sub for $100 american looks like a great buy. And since it is powered I can save myself some money by not having to buy an amp right? I am just wondering what kind of sound quality can I expect with these Fluance speakers and a DLS 10" sub paired up with say a Panasonic DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 reciever, the only basis I have for comparison is a 120 watt mini system, Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers and an older Technics component system that my parents own. Also, I saw a Panasonic audio reciever at futureshop(Canadian) for $300CAD...oops make that $290 for a limited time. Here is the link:
Link Removed
Will this reciever meet my needs?

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Panny receiver will do fine. I recently bought a Panny TV and I've heard a lot of good things about their DVD players. They're making some good equipment these days.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Compared to what you listed as having heard, the Fluance and DLS will be a major step up.

However, ditch the receiver you are thinking about. From Panasonic's site:

Home Theatre Mode: equal high power output of 100W x 5 (1kHz, 6 ohms, 0.9% THD) per Left/Centre/Right/Left Surround/Right Surround channels
Those test condition are even worse than what RCA uses for their HTiB receivers. If this receiver was tested under these parameters:

20hz-20khz, 8ohms, 0.08%THD, all 5 channels driven

it would be lucky if it scored 20W x 5

See what you can find from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo or Harman Kardon that is in your price range. They don't play that type of number game with their power ratings.

Just because a company does one thing well, doesn't mean they do all things well. Panasonic makes great TVs and DVD players, but their audio stuff isn't very good. Sony makes great TVs, CD/DVD players and their high end receivers aren't bad. But their low end receivers and speakers aren't that great.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Justin, I don't know what the scene is out on the other coast but I think if you looked around you could find the Denon 1602 for around $550. I know this is more than the Panasonc but the difference will be worth more than $200.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I also second considering other receivers, although I readily admit I'm not familiar with the Panasonics. Go with Denon or Harmon Kardan. I also notice a refurbished Onkyo 575 over at Ubid.com for $269 right now, but there is only one hour left. Nonetheless, they often have excellent deals on components, but charge a lot for shipping.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
i would prefer to buy from futureshop.ca or another Canadian only site so I don't get hurt with high shipping costs or exchange rate. Can anyone recommend a good Canadian dealer with low Canadian prices? I saw an a H/K reciever at futureshop but the cheapest is $750, I know it would be the best, but even if I bought the Panny reciever I would still be over my original budget by alot with speakers. Are the Sony recievers at futureshop any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks