Questions about subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

As many of you know I am exploring my possibilities in a new HT setup. I am looking quite seriously at the fluance home theater set of speakers. However, from the reviews I have read they seem to be good overall but they lack low bass. Since I would like to fully experience the LFE channel I am going to need a sub. At partsexpress.com I see subwoofers but they don't seem to be in cabinets. Do I need to buy a cabinet for them? Are they expensive? and can a dumb high school kid install the woofer into the cabinet? Also, do I need to amplify the subwoofer or will the reciever do that?
    Thank you all for your help

2. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Partsexpress does sell a complete sub kit, you do need a seperate amp (this comes in the kit ). instruction are included . yes a high-school student can install this kit , you don't have to be dumb.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

PE has 3 options sub wise. Finished subs, kits, or you buy the parts and build your own enclosure.
    This is one of their finished subs:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15942&DID=7
    This is a kit with everything you need, you just install the driver and amp as well as wire the two together (which is really quite simple):
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=14736&DID=7
    The final option is to build the enclosure yourself and just buy the various raw parts you need from them. For sure the driver; but amps, binding posts, ports, wire and a few other things are optional as different designs will use different things and some of it you will want to buy locally instead.
    This link is to a page that links to piles of projects where people designed and built their own enclosures (me being one of them):
    http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I have one the non-DIY subs linked to from the previous post. It does reach to 25 hz, per my trusty RS SPL meter, which, for $100 plus shipping ain't bad. It should be a great compliment to the speakers yu are considering.

5. Justin Ward

wow, that DLS sub for $100 american looks like a great buy. And since it is powered I can save myself some money by not having to buy an amp right? I am just wondering what kind of sound quality can I expect with these Fluance speakers and a DLS 10" sub paired up with say a Panasonic DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 reciever, the only basis I have for comparison is a 120 watt mini system, Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers and an older Technics component system that my parents own. Also, I saw a Panasonic audio reciever at futureshop(Canadian) for $300CAD...oops make that $290 for a limited time. Here is the link:
    The Panny reciever at futureshop
    Will this reciever meet my needs?

6. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I think the Panny receiver will do fine. I recently bought a Panny TV and I've heard a lot of good things about their DVD players. They're making some good equipment these days.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Compared to what you listed as having heard, the Fluance and DLS will be a major step up.

However, ditch the receiver you are thinking about. From Panasonic's site:

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Justin, I don't know what the scene is out on the other coast but I think if you looked around you could find the Denon 1602 for around $550. I know this is more than the Panasonc but the difference will be worth more than $200.

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I also second considering other receivers, although I readily admit I'm not familiar with the Panasonics. Go with Denon or Harmon Kardan. I also notice a refurbished Onkyo 575 over at Ubid.com for $269 right now, but there is only one hour left. Nonetheless, they often have excellent deals on components, but charge a lot for shipping.

10. Justin Ward

i would prefer to buy from futureshop.ca or another Canadian only site so I don't get hurt with high shipping costs or exchange rate. Can anyone recommend a good Canadian dealer with low Canadian prices? I saw an a H/K reciever at futureshop but the cheapest is $750, I know it would be the best, but even if I bought the Panny reciever I would still be over my original budget by alot with speakers. Are the Sony recievers at futureshop any good?