What's new

questions about subwoofer selection (1 Viewer)

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i'll start by saying i'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to home audio/theater stuff. I'm pretty into car audio, and i've got some experience with that, so i'm not completely in the dark here. i'll go through all of the equipment i have now, what i plan to do with it and what i've been looking at buying.

What i have-
RCA 27" tv
a rather cheap dvd/vcr (emerson)
magnavox 5 disc cd changer
technics av control stereo receiver SA-ex110
yamaha m4 with 70 hz lowpass fmods on the rca's
single eclipse 86 series 12" sub (car audio) in a sealed box
two technics towers containing a 1" tweeter and a 10" full range speaker

most of it suits my needs, but the subwoofer/amp/receiver just arent doing it for me. I want to have a video or home theater receiver, whatever they're called, so i can have everything working through it (ps2, regular tv, cd player, dvd/vcr, subwoofer, and speakers) so i plan on selling the receiver, the yamaha m4, and the sub/box, and buying new equipment to replace it

So, what i am looking at buying is the klipsch rw-12 on ebay for a total of 460 after shipping, and a yamaha HTR-5650. I really dont know much about the different brands available for this type of application. I'm pretty much wondering if i can get something thats going to perform better for similar pricing. i'm looking to spend about 250 give or take on the receiver, so i'm still open for suggestions on that as well as the subwoofer.

Another thing about the subwoofer setup. I'm wondering if its better to buy a powered sub like the klipsch i mentioned above, or would it be best to pick a raw subwoofer, find an amp to power it accordingly, and build my own enclosure. (i'm plenty capable of building my own enclosure, so thats not a problem)

Thanks for any and all help

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
c'mon, i know someone wants to help me out

to start, i pretty much need to know if its worth it, or if its better to buy a sub, find an amp to match it's power ratings, and build my own enclosure, or just buy a powered sub setup.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The Yamaha is a pretty good receiver. You could likely do better on the sub. You could go the DIY route and probably have a better sub. You should also look at www.svsubwoofers.com and check out their offering in the $400 range.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
:very frustrated:

just typed a lengthy reply, and wouldnt let me post it because of a URL, clicked back and message is gone :angry:

ANYWAYS- I'm all for doing DIY. I've been looking around alot at god knows how many different subs, and so far i've been leaning towards the dayton 15" titanic MKIII available at partsexpress(dot)com powered by a 500 watt rms plate amp also available at the same website. For the sub, search part number 295-420 and to look at the amp, search part number 300-806.

the sub runs at 190 dollars, and the amp is 250 dollars, then to have it shipped to me is an additional 20 dollars. I can build my own ported enclosure tuned to around 18-20 hz out of 3/4" mdf with internal bracing if necessary.

this should be better than a powered sub package of the same cost, correct?

Thanks again for the help

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the input. I've checked out the SVS subs but i think i've decided to go with a DIY setup. I think better results are possible with DIY. Once i get the cash, i'll start in on it, and i'll take pictures for those who are interested

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Good luck with it Joe - looking forward to the pics. There is also a 'DIY and Advanced Projects' section here on the Home Theater Forum that you might want to try for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks