Questions about sub amplification

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Dec 12, 2001.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

What would be the advantages of powering each voice coil seperately on a dual coil driver? I have an amp that's 2x240W @8ohms (it's 2x420W into 4ohms) that I'm going to use to power my new sub. From what I understand, the driver in my sub (a Shiva M2) has a sensitivity of about 91dB @ 1W with both coils wired in parallel (thereby reducing it's impedance to 4Ohms). BUT, if I wire each coil seperately the sensitivity drops to 88dB (at 8ohms per coil). Doesn't that mean that it would take twice as much wattage to push this driver if both coils are driven seperately?
    SO, would that mean that I would have to push 2x420W at 8ohms to equal a single 420W channel at 4ohms?
    I know the following is true:
    91dB senitivity @ 1W = 88dB sensitivity @ 2W
    but am I missing something?
    Ack... this is confusing. [​IMG]

2. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

It comes down to the same amount of power for any given SPL. Each VC is getting the same amount of current (power amplifiers dont really put out watts, they put out volts). Whether you use one channel to drive the coils in parallel, or use 2 channels to drive each coil separately, the results are the same. The difference would be at the amplifier. It would work each channel less to drive each coil separately (each amplifier channel puts out half the current).

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well said, Ron. Welcome to the Forum!

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Ok... so 248Wx2 at 8ohms (bench tested) would be the same as 496Wx1 at 4ohms? Cool. That should really drive that sub well (142.5L EBS alignment Shiva).
    Wow, can't wait to hear what it sounds like. [​IMG]