Questions about stands for Paradigm Focus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hal_J, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

i have a fresh pair of paradigm focus speakers and the matching center channel. beginnings of an HT set-up in a spare bedroom. hardwood floors. a couple of rudimentary questions about speaker stands, mostly dealing with the base spikes/isolation.

the goal of these is to decouple the speaker from the floor, correct?

shouldnt i isolate my center channel from the display? right now it sits on top.

what are other focus enthusiasts using as stands?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On Paradigm's website, they show the Focus on what look to be S-26 stands. Sounds about right to me.

I have yet to hear or even see a Focus yet.

Spikes minimize transmission of vibration, while keeping the stand coupled. With hardwood floors, you will probably want some spike pads or a piece of woor or tile to put them on.

3. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

thanks john. i didnt know about the focus either. the dealer positioned them as a bridge between mini-monitors and titans in terms of cost and performance. i am by no means an impressive set of ears and i wanted to avoid spending a fortune, and the focus worked great for me. to my ears i preferred them to even the mini-monitors, which cost more. they were more laid back than the titans. i had the guy do all sorts of blind testing with me to make sure i really was choosing them.

do i want something hard, like wood or something squishy like apartment grade carpet under them? (i think you said wood or tile, but is there a reason for this?)

4. John Garcia

John
    I was thinking only of protecting the wood floor, but something solid to keep the stand stable would be good.
    I did some side by side comparisons of the Titans and Minis, since I own both. Overall, the total output is about identical, but the Minis have a smoother sound for music and were able to handle more power. The difference is very subtle, but it is there. I have heard many people say they like the Titans more than the Minis. For movies, set to small, the difference was not so noticable, which is why I am using the Titans as surrounds and the Minis in another room for music.
    A&B customer...? [​IMG] I bought some V2 Minis there over the Thanksgiving holiday.

5. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

Re: A&B
    that's where i got them. they were cool about the fact that i wasn't looking to drop a ton of cash. i basically told the guy, 'look, i know very little and want to spend even less. im a pain int he butt customer who asks lots and lots of questions and likes to ask why. if you dont want to spend a lot of time talking to me, i wont have hurt feelings.' the guy actually spend a lot of time with me and i learned a lot, and still spent very little. they push the yammy receivers a bit but otherwise i dig that shop.
    what subwoofer do you have? i havent done anything with that yet. i listen to the speakers on large and think, 'i dont need a sub!' so i can't wait to get one...
    after that i plan to spend most of my money on having the walls re-sheetrocked. [​IMG]

6. John Garcia

John
    I have an old Yamaha sub (YST-SW500), because I am in an apartment and I can't really crank it up. I also like it because it has a remote control for all of the functions - x-over, phase, volume and memory for 3 sets of settings. The remote is great for calibration.