What's new

Questions about Sony SA-WM40 (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'm thinking about purchasing one of these for my small home studio. They will be mated up to a pair of Alesis M1s. How flat is the response of this sub? And how low will it go? I don't need much SPL, but I would like to know the general characteristics of this sub before I buy one.
Thanks in advance.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
Well, I have one and I thought it was great for the price($199). It goes strongly down to aabout 25hz then dips off. It is perfect for movies. I have a new one in the box I have up on ebay if you would like to buy it. Let me know I can end the auction early if you would like to sell it to you.
[email protected]
-B

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Hmmm... What kind of condition is it in? Do you have the box and manual? How much do you want for it?

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
It is in the box and the manual is there too(I forgot to mention that). It's like brand new, got it, opened it and bought an svs instead. so let me know asap.
-B

JerryW

Supporting Actor
It's a good/adequate sub for a great price (Best Buy typically has it on sale once a month for $150 + tax). No, it's not the flattest sub in the world, and it's sub 30Hz extension leaves much to be desired, but it is an incredible value for the $. Plus, if you don't mind tinkering with it, you can do a few simple mods to it that will greatly enhance it's performance (not to mention eliminate some of the "boominess" that plagues it in music). A modded `WM40 can easily outperform subs that sell for more than twice the price.
Overall, I still think it's the best sub value for

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
I'll pretty much just second what JerryW said. Great sub for the money (< $150) for movies in particular. It can really shake the floor and couch. Doesn't sound quite so good with music, I usually turn it down a bit when listening to music.
If you get it, you'll want to search here for all the threads on filling the box with polyfill to improve the sound.
Rob
------------------
My Equipment

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Brian, I really appreciate the good offer, but don't end your auction for me :)
I am not really ready to purchase one immediately. I will be getting a small sub in the next couple of months and I was mainly curious about this one since it is well regarded. Does anyone know of any other small, low-priced (under $250) subs that might work for my studio? I'd like to weigh my options.

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
If you can get it for around $150 its worth it, but for much more then that I don't think its worth getting.
Note that I have next to no experiance with high end subs, its probably the highest end sub that I have been able to listen to for any extended period of time with my own set of music. So maybe my expectations are a bit high or something.
Due to room/furniture/roommate concerns the position of my sub realy sucks. Its in the middle of one wall on its side (don't lynch me) pointing toward the middle of the room. It sems to my ears, using for testing basic tone generator software on my computer running through didital coax out to a tx-ds595, and then to the sub, and my ear as the SPL meter. It sems to me that it drops off right around 45Hz.
Now a big part of this might be the physical position of it, and my methods are about as far from scientific as the church of scientology.
Overall I am quite happy with it, for something like $160 delivered I think it was a great deal. Just don't expect the stars when all it can deliver is the moon.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know of any other small, low-priced (under $250) subs that might work for my studio? I'd like to weigh my options.
Another popular sub in your price range is the JBL PB-10 . For a little bit more but still under $300 delivered would be the larger JBL PB-12 .
Based on customer reviews, people seem to be very happy with the price/performance ratio of these subs. Best Buy carries them for about $100 more than the internet price for each model.
Hope this helps.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well Vin, that JBL PB-10 looks interesting. $192 ain't bad either!
Jon_R, perhaps I should specifically state "The western end of the middle of nowhere, KY" because I'm about 2 miles from Missouri. It's a 4 hr drive to Bowling Green :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks