Questions about setting up new SVS sub

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Maneesh, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

My SVS 25-31PCi sub is already on its way and should be here next week, and I can't wait!

I have a few questions now that I'm about to be part of the SVS family. I will be running it from a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver.

- what precautions do I need to take to make sure the sub does not bottom out or get damaged. Does sub bottoming out always lead to damage? I am in an apt so I don't think I will be able to play it that loud but I'd like to know.

- is there a way to calibrate the sub without using a BFD?

- any tips or advice about placement or other issues is also welcome.

If there have been previous discussions on this please link to them as I could not find them.

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Maneesh:
    Nice choice [​IMG]

I've also heard good things about that Panny receiver, so sounds like you're off and running with your system!

To answer some of your questions, no, you don't need a BFD to calibrate. You need an SPL meter (the one from RadioShack is usually what people buy) and test tones. If you don't have a calibration dvd like Avia, you can use the test tones on your receiver or possibly those on the THX Optimizer feature on certain dvds such as the Star Wars prequels or Pixar films (though I'm sure there are others, too). Also, bottoming out your sub is not a desirable thing, obviously, but I think it typically takes more than just bottoming it out once to damage the driver.

Nice sub, bro! [​IMG]

3. Carl P

Carl P Extra

If you live in appartment, your neighbors will be banging on the walls WELL before the sub bottoms. Remember that bass travels through walls. Proper calibration with a disc like Avia and an SPL meter will keep your sup the in the proper relationship to your mains. At the levels it takes to bottom your sub in an appartment you'll be evicted in no time.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

If you bottom out your sub in an apartment, the last thing you will be worried about is the sub. The cops knocking on your door will be your bigger problem.

I bottomed out my 20-39CS once, when watching LOTR at -5 db. The second I heard it pop I turned it down. So I bought dual 16-46CS+s. That is very loud. You should never have to worry.

5. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

I think I have either Avia or DVD essentials somewhere. Last time I had used it to calibrate my HT with an analog spl meter but the sub didn't need much calibration then [​IMG]

I think I'm going to invite the neighbors over for a LOTR or Matrix party and thus my preemptive strike will prevent any cops showing up [​IMG]

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Maneesh:

SVS has a great FAQ to go along with calibration of your sub with AVIA and an Analog SPL meter here written for them by Guy Kuo the author of AVIA.

Like your other speakers once you have dialed in your sub it will make all the difference in the world on the way it sounds in your room.

Good plan to include the neighbors with your initial setup but don't count on them being friendly neighbors for long if you are keeping them up at night. [​IMG]

Parker