Questions about screens

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
So I was planning an upgrade in the next three months from a 65 inch rear projection Sony to who knows what in the form of a projector and screen. Well that date got ramped up over the weekend because the TV died. So my research is just starting. Question number one: I'm looking at this Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. Big question is it worth the money? 3500 dollars worth it?
If the answer is no, can you point me to a great screen at a decent price...120 inches is what I am looking to do
http://www.projectorpeople.com/screens/screendtls.asp?manu=Screen%20Innovations&itmname=Black+Diamond+Zero+Edge
I'm looking at thes projectors: Panasonic PT-AE8000U or Epson Home Cinema 5020UB
Thanks in advance

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Thats one of them screens ive been lusting over. I think the value depends on how much ambient light you are dealing with, and obviously, how bright a projector you go with. Did you check out the screen demos on youtube? Its ability to combat ambient lighting is very impressive, if you were going with a high contrast but not real bright projector like a JVC then that screen would probably be a better value.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Ambient light is an issue, but not one that cannot be dealt with in other ways. I'll have to check the Demos out on youtube. Is this screen one that has picturelike qualities of an LED screen? I know the DNP(i think that is their name) makes one that allows the screen to absorb light and give picture quality similar to that of a flat screen television.
Again the cost is a factor for me...I COULD spend 5K on everything, but I would rather get out at between 2-3K if possible. I want the screen, but I am also weighing the option of a very large flat screen as well.
decisions decisions...thanks for your input, I'll definitely check out those demos.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I generally prefer to spend less on the screen and have more for the projector, but that's a personal thing. Monoprice sells a very good screen manufactured by Grandview in China if you want to save money.
If you want to spend on a high quality screen, Da-Lite makes a new material that is very highly regarded. What is the primary goal?
  • Color accuracy
  • Contrast/ambient light tolerance
  • Brightness/uniformity

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
David Upton said:
I generally prefer to spend less on the screen and have more for the projector, but that's a personal thing. Monoprice sells a very good screen manufactured by Grandview in China if you want to save money.
If you want to spend on a high quality screen, Da-Lite makes a new material that is very highly regarded. What is the primary goal?
  • Color accuracy
  • Contrast/ambient light tolerance
  • Brightness/uniformity
My goal is big screen reproduction of what I would see in a local theater, if possible on my budget.
Ambient light source can be manipulated if need be.
I guess I am confused whether or not these type of screens will make an average projector look great or whether a great projector can overcome screen limitations. I'm trying to figure out how much of this screen is hype and how much better it is than a 500-1000 dollar screen

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Screens absolutely do make a difference - and cheaper screens don't handle daylight or off axis viewing nearly as well. I recommend Da-Lite if you can swing it - a great price/performance compromise. Stewart IMO is too expensive.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the Dalite HC Cinema Vision is great if you have a "bit" of ambient light.
If light is controlled consider the Dalite HC Matte White.
Something to consider: PJ technology changes a lot and by the time that the PJ hits 3-4 years of age there would be a good chance of you considering replacing it.
On the flip side: A good screen will still be a good screen after 3-4 years. I have had my Dalite screen for 8 years now and it is stll very good.
Spend your money ONCE on a good screen and keep it.
On a side and related note: Stewart also makes very good screens, and I would never recommend you by a generic / monoprice screen EVER.
The Black Diamond stuff is very good if you have a lot of ambient light. I would in no way recommend them if you have controlled lighting.
Fun stuff! (and happy shopping! ).

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I do have a lot of ambient light...the only way to control it would be to put tin foil in the windows like Elvis used to do. Not sure the wife will go for that. It is fine after dusk. I'm just not sure I wouldn't be better off with a televsion. I'm also not sure that I want to spend more on a screen than the projector itself. For about half the cost, I could get a 92 inch display. I don't know why...but I'm starting to get cold feet on the projector setup.
Other than size, are there any other benefits to projectors?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no projector/screen combo, at the price of a Mits DLP, that is going to be close. At all.
When this house was purchased, the original projector and screen were left. I shutter to think how much it is going to cost when it is time to replace my screen. I've replaced the projector twice. First was 3 months of moving in(they said the projector was overheating...it was...and finally did completely die...).
My screen is a Screen Research. If you want to see exactly how expensive a great screen is...look them up.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rolynarole