What's new

Questions about roof-top antennas (Are Radio Shacks any good?) (1 Viewer)

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure where to post this, so I am trying here...

I live in the metro Detroit area and I am looking to add a roof mounted antenna with rotator to my set up. I desire to not only get a clear "non-fiddle" signal of Detroit DTV signals, but also pull in Toledo (~60 miles) and Lansing (~75 miles) signals for TV(VHF AND UHF) and FM as well.

I am curious if the antennas sold at Radio shack are any good. I went into a local staore and was surprised to learn that their biggest antenna (VU-210XR) was on sale for $9.97.
Must be on close-out or something.

Is this antenna anywhere near as good as the biggest channel master or winegard? I will be adding a pre-amp to the set up for maximim range.

Per the radio shack web site, the gain figures are as follows:
VHF Low Band: 6.2 dB
VHF High Band: 8.7 dB
UHF: 11.1 dB
FM: 2.2 dB

The Biggest Windgard Antenna has the following gain figures:

VHF LOW: 7 dB
VHF High: 11.5dB
UHF: 13.3dB
FM: Not provided

Is that a significant differece in performance? (2-3dB on average)
Or for the price difference if the performance differences minimal?

I am also concerned how "directional" this antenna would be. The pick up patterns of Channel Master and Winegard are highly directional which is what I desire and wondered if a Radio Shack antenna is also directional (use for DX'ing)

Now while I am not opposed to finding a bargain price, I am more concerned with quality and performance and am not afraid to spend for that.

I would be very appreciative of any ideas on this antenna or other recommendations.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
for $10 how can you go wrong...I have a 10+ year old mid line rs antenna and with a preamp pick up stations 60 miles away

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I went into a local store and was surprised to learn that their biggest antenna (VU-210XR) was on sale for $9.97.
Huh? That’s a $130 antenna!

I’ve used RS antennas for years have been very happy with them. Just make sure you get a big enough antenna to insure top-notch reception. The 210 should work great for your application, especially with the rotor.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks