Questions about Ric Burns "New York"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stefan Pedersen, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Stefan Pedersen

Apr 7, 1999
    Very interested in this documentary. I have a few questions though. Are there optional english subtitles?

How much color footage of New York would you say there is? Is it mostly old black and white footage? How much time is spent on "modern" New York (seventies, eighties, nineties)?

And finally...would you recommend it? [​IMG]
  2. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

Feb 16, 2004
    This documentary is one of the if not the most important documentary I have ever seen in my life. I say this as an American who has never wished to visit New York, nor had I particularly been interested in its history.

The story of New York is the story of America packed into one great city, maybe the most important city in the world.

Just like a Ken Burns documentary they use still photographs and then Black and white leading into color for the modern era. Let me tell you that the early story of the city is just as compelling as the more recent.

I also want to warn anyone that the added documentary covering the 9/11 events that was added on to supplement the series is very, very emotional. The events of that day take on an even deeper meaning for me knowing the history of the city and of the Towers themselves.

If I were in charge of the education system in this country I would make this required viewing in either High School or College history classes as it really shows who we are and where we came from.

When ever I watch a documentary by either of the Burns Brothers it inspires me to want to travel somday so I can see the actuall places that built our nation for myself.

**Sorry, I checked for subtitles and found no information online, I am pretty sure that it is at least close captioned.