Questions about Region 2 releases of certain titles...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Kilduff, Apr 22, 2004.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

This is my first post in this section, so if somebody could help me, I would appreciate it.

I've been told that in other regions, some DVDs have different (and better) transfers, and more extras than their Region 1 counterparts.

I would like to ask about the following titles' transfers and extras (from any region):

"Annie"
    "Perfect"
    "Conan The Destroyer"
    "Bright Lights, Big City"
    "Manhunter"
    "American Psycho"

Are they better-transferred? Are the extras better also?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Bound to think up a few more along the way.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i have the R4 Conan The Destroyer.
    it's anamorphic which the R1 isn't, and i also believe the encoding is improved over the R1 (less compression related artifacting).
    its not a terrifically impressive looking disc however, due to the way the film was shot (has a slightly soft, hazy look to it), but the disc is a full blown SE, and the commentary with D'abo is enjoyable to listen too (unfortunately the other guy with her is kind of annoying).

the R4 was very cheap, iirc, and well worth picking up over the R1 ( i think i paid under $20 total WITH shipping from ezydvd)

same SE content as the R2 (and which will never be released in the US as MGM (not Universal) holds the rights to the title abroad)

3. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Good to know about "Destroyer"...

I suppose I should mention why I'm asking these questions. I'm looking to buy a Region Free DVD Player. I suppose I should ask about that question in the hardware section, but on the off-hand it doesn't belong there, I'll ask it here:

What model Region Free Player is the best? Are there any that play VCDs or DVD-Rs?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

1 title down...5 to go.

EDIT: Are any of the titles edited overseas?

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

do you have a PAL capable display now? or are you going to need a player that can convert PAL to NTSC?

if its a case of the later, you would probably be better off getting a Toshiba or JVC or Denon and hacking it , or having it hacked, to be region free.

if its the later, then the Malatas come highly recommended.

actually i think i have heard that the $60 cyberhome players are region free or hackable.

i'd go over to the dvd player forum on AVSforum and ask or search over there, although you should get some good answers here.

you also might want to try dvdtalk (the international sub forum).
    there is a long thread currently on hacking the toshiba 3900.

good luck

5. Werner_R

Werner_R Stunt Coordinator

I have the R2 Annie (not the SE, which is also available), the transfer isn't spectacular but decent. Extras are thin with trailer, photos and filmographies but it does have an isolated music score which the SE doesn't have. And it's in Widescreen [​IMG]

6. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

American psycho (r2 uk) looks very clean and is generally a very good transfer. It does however have very minor pixelation in a couple of scenes. However i would wait for a special edition as the extras are poor.

7. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

I wouldn't say that. It's the only place to get some specific extras including deleted scenes. True, they don't add much to it but...regardless...they're deleted scenes for a reason.

8. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

The R2J Manhunter is the actual Theatrical release. No inserted or removed scenes. (I have a copy for sale in that forum).

The R2J and R3K versions of Conan the Destroyer are anamorphic and 5.1. The R3K(orea) has an extra commentary track that is very good.

All of the above are ntsc.