Questions about pulling in HDTV over the air.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam_R, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I looked up my area on antennaweb.org, and it seems like there's at least one or two channels I can pull in here, which, to me, makes it worth getting an antenna.

I have a Samsung HL-S5687W, with the built in tuner, but I am in the basement. Does this mean I have to install the antenna outside and run a wire, or is there a possibility of getting a signal in the basement?

Also, what inexpensive antennas do you recommend?

Thanks.

EDIT: Afterthought! I see an old antenna wire in the basement that most likely goes to the roof, even though there is no antenna up there. Can I utilize that? It's the old 2 wire kind. Would I somehow splice that to coaxial to get in the back of the TV?

Thanks again!

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Post your results from antennaweb.org and we can go from there, on recommending a Antenna.

3. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Not to thread hijack but I had a similar question. According to antennaweb most of my local HD stations are yellow and average about 16 miles away. Would I be able to use an indoor antenna? I'm at 450 ft with a fairly straight view to downtown Seattle. Thanks.

4. DougR

DougR Second Unit

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It will probably work well. There's no way to know without hooking up an antenna. I get fantastic reception on OTA broadcasts, HD and otherwise, with an attic antenna.

6. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

blue - vhfWVPT-DT11.1PBSSTAUNTONVA276°14.411

violet - uhfWHSV-DT49.1ABCHARRISONBURGVA46°37.149

Those are my results.

14.4 and 37.1 miles away. I am pretty high up for this area, so there should be no mountains in the way!

Like I said, My HT is in the basement, so do I need to put the antenna on the roof, or can I try indoor down here?

Thanks!

Also, I am heading to Circuit City tonight to pick up a TV, so I'd like to grab the antenna while I am there. If you could recommend from thier selection that would be great!

Thanks again!

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't know if you want to get raped on an antenna from Circuit City. I'm using a Channel Master 4221A in my attic and it's awesome for HD and standard UHF. I'll eat my hat if the 149.99 outdoor antenna they are selling is better than my $25 Channel Master. Highly recommended. You can find places to buy it on google. Some of the hardware stores sell antennas, like Lowe's or Home Depot. You can try an indoor in your basement but I wouldn't expect it to work well. Since you're already wired, why not throw an antenna on the roof? Is there a mast up there?

8. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Heck I went to Walmart and got a powered anntena (around $30) that pulls in all the HD channels available in my area. I would start with a cheaper anntena in the basement, see if you get reception, and go from there.

9. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

10. Th8ter

Th8ter Extra

I got mine at Radio Shack. I already had a coax cable going from attic to basement, it works great. One thing you need to make sure is that you can get the antenna pointed in a direction so that it picks up both stations. You don't want to have to run up to the attic everytime you want to watch a different station.