What's new

Questions about PSB speakers (1 Viewer)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine has PSB 1000 floorstanding speakers he bought about 5-6 years ago. He is looking into expanding his stereo setup into HT, so he is asking what center channel speaker would be a good match. Also, there appears to be a very small dent in the tweeter, but he didn't hear it and didn't know the dent existed until he removed the grill.

So, first of all -- what would be a good center/surround speaker to match for a 5.1 setup? Second, does anybody know if it's easy to replace the tweeter and what the replacement can cost/where to buy? And he can't find any specs, so maybe somebody knows what the tweeter type/size is? And the last but not least -- what sub would be a good option?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
My father has the complete surround setup of the Image7PT, 9C and the 10S's. Sounds really really nice for the price. You should check out their center and bipolar speakers. They just came out with a new line for their flagship called Platinum. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, but the PSB's are some of the nicest speakers in their price range by far.

TerryHenson

Agent
If it still sounds good, the dent is probably only in the dust cover, center. No biggy, put the grill back on. :)

If he plans on keeping the speakers he has, then the 9c or 8c maybe another center channel. If he plans on upgrading then of course you'd start with a center channel that matched that set. Many receivers allow for center channel graphic equalization. It can help you get a closer match. Unless you buy a 3rd main speaker for the center, you will never get a perfect match.

Buy the best subwoofer you can afford. Subs don't match speakers, they are stand alone room shakers.

PSB stratus silveri's series with C6i center are in my home theater. We love the sound.

Terry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Thanks for replies so far. Didn't know the tweeter had a dust cover, thought the grill was it :frowning: Thanks for enlightening me ;)

Yes, my friend would like to keep the current mains and get just the center and surrounds. I believe he just got an Onkyo TXSR800 receiver which has THX Select, so it probably has timbre matching that can help smoothing out the differences, but still he'd like to get the best match possible.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine has the PSB 400's, a smaller model in the same line as your friend. She was in the same predicament- a stereo pair, but no matching center available.

We tried my Image 8C, and it did not match as well as a PSB Alpha center channel. The Alpha center has a warmer sound, more in line with the series your friend has.

Honestly, the 8C is the better speaker(more open, and will play louder), but as far as a timbre match, I felt the Alpha center was the better choice. As they though, your mileage may vary...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks