Questions about projectors: Sony VW10HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ruiz, May 1, 2002.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I am thinking of getting a Sony VW10HT projector, but since I have never had one, or even seen one, I was hoping someone can answer a few questions that I have.

Can I easily hook this up to my DVD player using "Component Video Cables"?

Do I need to "Calibrate" the projector to display proper colors/contrast/black level?

How long does a projector last?

My family intends to use this projector at LEAST 6 hours A DAY. How long will the bulb last if used that much? I read somewhere that each bulb costs $500 dollars each...Is that true?

Can anyone tell me anything else interesting about projectors? I'm *REALLY* considering getting one.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    You might find this webpage helpful:
    Sony VPL-VW10HT FAQ
    also note that the HTF homepage has an ad banner for AVmall.com. They have the 10HT, as well as the newer 11HT. The website also has product brochures in pdf format.
    I looked into the 10HT awhile back, but ended up just getting a RPTV instead. I still have my eye on FPTV for some future day.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

For what it's worth, the 11HT is supposed to be noticably better than the 10HT. Budget might be a consideration.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For one thing, the 11HT has a longer bulb life and improved contrast ratio.

6. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I was under the impression that the 10HT is the only projector that can do TRUE anamorphic video. That's why I wanted this one. I don't want a projector that does not display in non-anamorphic.

Thank you all so much for all your wonderful responses. I'm going to read the FAQ that GLENN pointed out for me. Thanks guys.

7. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Ok. I just finished reading most of the FAQ, and it has lots of facinating information. Is there an FAQ like that for the 11HT? Does the 11HT produce anamorphic video?

One thing I don't understand about the projector, is that there is still black bars when viewing widescreen.

Don't get me wrong. I *LOVE* widescreen, and have grown very used to seeing the bars, but I thought the whole purpose of the black bars being there was because TVs are SQUARE, and a rectangle picture does not fit in a square, therefore we have black bars on the top and bottom.

The project, however, is *NOT* a TV. It doesn't have to have black bars anywhere, because it's not trying to fit inside of a square shape. Can anyone please explain this to me?

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The 11HT Is the 10HT but with some improvements, as a reult of it being more recent than the 10HT. Both projectors are sweet. I have seen demos of both, with no line doubling/quadrupling etc, just straight component from the DVD player, displayed on 100"+ 16x9 screens and yes, both are native 16x9. I believe the Sony 400Q (older model) is also 16x9 native, as are some others.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When it comes to black bars, what you are really doing is trying to fit a rectangular image into a "more-qsare" box. An image that is 2.35:1 is more wide than a 1.85:1 image or a 1.33:1 image. If you try to fit a 2.35:1 image into a box that is 1.85:1, you will have black bars no matter if the source is anamorphic or not. It is the aspect ratio that matters here. Keep in mind that some display devices have stretch modes that may make the image fit the whole screen, but of course displaying like this will cut off parts of the sides or stretch the image vertically, or a combination of both.

10. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

There is an "el cheapo" LCD projector being talked-up at AVScience these days: The Panasonic AE-100.
    This is a 500:1 contrast ratio, 16:9 LCD panel system, with a 5000 hour bulb.
    It sells for a little as $1500 delivered (internet price).
    The resolution for the unit is SVGA and this, combined with the fact that it's LCD, apparently leads to some "screendoor" artifacts if you sit too close to the screen; but the members over there on AVScience seem to think that the benefits (high contrast ratio for LCD, native 16:9 LCD panel, long bulb life, killer price point) vastly outweigh the negatives.
    You might want to at least check it out.