Questions about "Presence" speakers on Yammy reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Brock, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I am on the verge of buying an HTR-5760 but I have some questions about the presence speakers that I cannot seem to find any information on at all............

1) How is the content that is sent to the presence channels actually determined? Is there some additional processing engaged when they are turned on or do they just share the same signal as the main L and R speakers?

2) How are these 2 additional speakers powered? The reciever is rated as having only 7 channels of amplification. So are there 2 additional smaller amps in the reciever that power the 2 presence speakers or do they share a portion with some of the other speakers?

3) If there is additional channels in the reciever or they do share power, then how much power is actually being sent to these 2 channels?

4) Has anyone actually used these 2 channels or any 9.1 setup before? If so is there any actual benefit to using these 2 additional channels?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks!!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Chris,

From my readings of the manual for the 5760, the presence and surround back channels can be both connected, but both will not operate simultaneously. The presence channels will only operate when the "Cinema" DSP is selected.

As far as wattage goes, I though the presence channels had 25 watts going to them for the higher-end Yamaha receivers. Not sure how much is outputted to the 5760, though.

Also, don't forget to download the 5760 manual in .PDF format from the Yamaha site - lots of good reading if you search for the term "presence" in the manual.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I don't know the specifics of that particular amp, but in my case (Yamaha DSP-A1)...

1. The 'Presence' speakers are completely synthetic signals, generated by the DSP modes. If you don't have the speakers, there's generally a menu setting to 'fold' them back into the front main speakers.

2. Again, in my amp, there are actually two small amplifiers, not part of any of the other 'real' amps built into the chassie.

3. I sort of thought mine were 10-15w amps - I'm not sure of the numbers.

4. Do they help? Well, that's a real trick. At least for the '7.1' of the A1, they're supposed to widen the sound-field. I don't know if they really do or not; it's not easy to tell in my configuration. They might also help the purity and handling of the front mains - being that all of the stuff that would get generated and mixed into the front is now being generated and sent out to the sides, leaving the original signal still going through to the mains.

Your milage may vary.

Leo Kerr
    [email protected]

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Leo is pretty much correct on all that. I've had a Yam setup that uses the "presence" speakers, first on the 2095 Yam and now on a RX-V1.....

I am not familiar with the 5790 but with Yamaha's other receivers utilizing a "presence" speaker setup, they DO have separate smaller amps... my 2095 was 25w per and the V1 is 35w per....... and I can say that is makes some difference in certain DSP modes.....

I could never really tell that anything was actually "robbed" from the mains but I could tell when they were "on" or not....... There will also be a setting for volume increase on the presence speakers that will just give you one more thing to tweak..........don't ya just love having one more thing to mess with!

Having the space to spread these presence speakers out will determine how useful they really are to your setup and how much difference they will make..... In my other home, I had space to place them about 2 ft outside each side of my mains and they definitely added some "wideness" to the soundstage with a few of the dsp setups.... I now have a smaller area where I can't get the presence speakers as wide as I would like but I still run 'em just cause I have'em! LOL

Enjoy!

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

ah, that may have been some of the trouble. My presence speakers were only about a foot further out than the mains (which were already fairly far out,) but, on the other hand, were about two or three feet higher.

At least in the 5.1 set-up, I went away from using fancy DSP modes, because when someone threw a voice into the rear channel, it usually picked up too much echo/reverb. Take, for instance, the opening of The Dream is Alive - when half the radio voices are coming from the back... in an echo chamber?!

Leo Kerr
    [email protected]

6. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

So you do think there is an advantage to using them but it depends on the placement of the speaker. Now wayne had stated that he did not believe that you were able to use the presence speaker and the rear surrounds at the same time? if that is the case then I would definitly want to just use the rear surrounds becasue the HT room in our new house is going to be pretty good sized so I want to have that extra coverage.

7. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

I will be setting up a DSP-A1 this week. I plan on using an outboard amp for the "presence" speakers. It will be about 60 watts per channel. Although I wont have them to the side, I plan on setting the small satellites on top of my floorstanding mains to the back off to the side. Just like DonnyD, I'm going to run them because I can. [​IMG] Is there a really small stand existing that can be used to elevate them? Specs would be about two to three inches in height to accomodate a speaker of about 4 1/2 H X 4 1/3 W X 5 1/4 D. Reason I have them on top is that I don't have any room in the back or the sides for stands.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Chris, Yes, that is correct. I reviewed the "presence" speaker section in the user manual before making my post. Now, if we could use the surround back speakers and the presence speakers at the same time ... that would be most excellent. [​IMG] [​IMG] -- But, instead, Yamaha has limited that option. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

no is that because there is no seperate internal amp for the presence speakers? would it be possible to get an outboard amp like a Adcom GFA-535 to power the presence and possibly run a full 9.1 setup? That would be awesome just to be able to say you had a 9.1 surround sound setup haha

10. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've had a 2095 and now a RX-V1 Yam and the presence speakers and rear surrounds work at the same time according to the dsp selected. I've never heard or read where both wouldn't work at the same time and I haven't "experienced" that situation at any time. BUT, I don't know the specs of the unit you mentioned............

I checked my manual to but I also checked several dvds and found they ALL worked at the same time............I had a 8.1 system for several years and have had a 9.1 for 2 years now!!!!