What's new

Questions about power strips and lightning protection?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am looking for a power strip that I can hook all my electronics to that will give some kind of protection from lightning. I don't want to spend a fortune. Does anyone have any recommendations or what I should be looking for in a power strip? Thanks!

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Make sure you get one with a high Joule rating and a connected equipment guarantee.
Your average joe power strip only can handle a couple hundred joules if that.....Mine handles something like 1700 or so.
I have one from a company called Panamax. The connected equipment guarantee ($50,000 for mine), means that if I have a lightning strike (or power surge of any kind)and a piece of equipment dies that was conncected to the power unit, Panamax will replace it for free.....
Panamax's Main webpage

AllanN

Supporting Actor
From what I have heard in other posts the ONLY thing that will protect you from a direct lightning strike is good homeowners/renters insurance.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Todd,

If you don't get much of a response in this thread, try searching HTF using terms such as "surge protection" and/or "power strip". You will find quite a number of threads hashing out pro's/con's of various models, where to buy, warrantee vs. insurance, etc.

BTW, you didn't mention what gear you're going to be hooking up or what price range you're looking for. . .

Regards,

Mike

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Jeff wrote:

The connected equipment guarantee ($50,000 for mine), means that if I have a lightning strike (or power surge of any kind)and a piece of equipment dies that was conncected to the power unit, Panamax will replace it for free.....
I don't think this is the case. I read the warranty posted on the Panamax web site, and there are some conditions:

1. The warranty applies only if the surge protector is damaged or has recorded a surge that has overwhelmed it. If Panamax doesn't find the evidence they are looking for (and that determination is solely up to them), the warranty doesn't apply.

2. If the warranty applies, they don't necessarily replace the equipment. They may pay to have it repaired instead. There's nothing in the warranty about how long this might take (both the decision--they may ask to have the equipment shipped to them--and the repair). You might have to do without some piece of equipment (a HDTV, for example) for months).

It would be interested to hear of experiences from those who have filed claims.

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
well i work for a retailer in the chicago land area and we used to carry panamax... they do back their warranty. There was a case where lightning hit the guys tree in the back yard and surge blew up his tv, and vcr. we sent them the panamax and they sent us a check. Unfortuanly not all cases were this simple. there were a few that they debated, one system they said that the vcr was due to a surge but the reciever was not.

Now we decided to stick with monster cable surge protectors for two reasons. one is that the warranty is for a greater amount.($100,000) and there is less hassle on the warranty side. If told them it was a surge, then it was a surge. two was that the (dbs) panamax or any of the ones with a coax loop for a surge was giving us a hum in systems. one surge actually knocked off 15 points on the satillite meter.

i hope this helps,

IMO i would pick something other than panamax. ( unless you are getting one that looks like its a piece of equipment){rack mountable}

l8rz,

Adam

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Todd,

Allan is right. Nothing will protect you from a direct lightning strike.

Surge protectors can help in that situation, but don’t think you’re getting any protection from a cheap power strip. Good surge protectors are not cheap.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Mike M.,

I am hooking up my big screen, dvd burner, reciever, dish receiver, etc. I really don't want to spend more than $50.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Todd

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Todd, in that case, the Tripp Lite metal-case Isobar series
Here are an excellent mainstream, plug-and-forget surge protector available on line for $50. Get the Isobar6DBS.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
That ISOBar6 looks like a pretty good unit (from the specs).

I was looking at getting a surge protector myself.

Can anyone else chime in and reccommend a better unit for about the same money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks