Questions about power strips and lightning protection?...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Apr 23, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am looking for a power strip that I can hook all my electronics to that will give some kind of protection from lightning. I don't want to spend a fortune. Does anyone have any recommendations or what I should be looking for in a power strip? Thanks!

2. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Make sure you get one with a high Joule rating and a connected equipment guarantee.
    Your average joe power strip only can handle a couple hundred joules if that.....Mine handles something like 1700 or so.
    I have one from a company called Panamax. The connected equipment guarantee ($50,000 for mine), means that if I have a lightning strike (or power surge of any kind)and a piece of equipment dies that was conncected to the power unit, Panamax will replace it for free.....
    Panamax's Main webpage

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

From what I have heard in other posts the ONLY thing that will protect you from a direct lightning strike is good homeowners/renters insurance.

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Todd,

If you don't get much of a response in this thread, try searching HTF using terms such as "surge protection" and/or "power strip". You will find quite a number of threads hashing out pro's/con's of various models, where to buy, warrantee vs. insurance, etc.

BTW, you didn't mention what gear you're going to be hooking up or what price range you're looking for. . .

Regards,

Mike

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Jeff wrote:

6. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

well i work for a retailer in the chicago land area and we used to carry panamax... they do back their warranty. There was a case where lightning hit the guys tree in the back yard and surge blew up his tv, and vcr. we sent them the panamax and they sent us a check. Unfortuanly not all cases were this simple. there were a few that they debated, one system they said that the vcr was due to a surge but the reciever was not.

Now we decided to stick with monster cable surge protectors for two reasons. one is that the warranty is for a greater amount.($100,000) and there is less hassle on the warranty side. If told them it was a surge, then it was a surge. two was that the (dbs) panamax or any of the ones with a coax loop for a surge was giving us a hum in systems. one surge actually knocked off 15 points on the satillite meter.

i hope this helps,

IMO i would pick something other than panamax. ( unless you are getting one that looks like its a piece of equipment){rack mountable}

l8rz,

Adam

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Todd,

Allan is right. Nothing will protect you from a direct lightning strike.

Surge protectors can help in that situation, but don’t think you’re getting any protection from a cheap power strip. Good surge protectors are not cheap.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Mike M.,

I am hooking up my big screen, dvd burner, reciever, dish receiver, etc. I really don't want to spend more than $50.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Todd

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Todd, in that case, the Tripp Lite metal-case Isobar series
    Here are an excellent mainstream, plug-and-forget surge protector available on line for $50. Get the Isobar6DBS.

10. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

That ISOBar6 looks like a pretty good unit (from the specs).

I was looking at getting a surge protector myself.

Can anyone else chime in and reccommend a better unit for about the same money?