Questions about Onkyo HT-S650

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_Hud, Oct 18, 2002.

1. James_Hud

James_Hud Auditioning

Hello everyone,
    I went and bought the Onkyo HT-s650 htib the other day. This system is awesome for 500 dollars. I had doubts about getting it because I have always thought home theaters in a box were crappy. If anyone has any doubts about getting it, dont. You will truely be happy you bought it. The speakers are very well built and put off a large sound.
    I have some questions regarding the receiver. Right now I don't have an optical cable going from my dvd to the receiver. It will only do pro logicII for movies right now. When I get an optical cable, will the dolby digital and dts be available then? Also, I am thinking about buying this optical cable, is it a good one? It is TOSlink Fiber Optic Cable.

2. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

I have the 650 and love it. I can't tell you which optical cable to get - I got mine at walmart and it works. Yes, the 650 will run dd and dts when you hook up the cable - IF your dvd player is set up properly. I run my ps2 as my dvd player and I had to set the optical cable out to "on" AND get into the audio menu to turn on the dd/dts. I can't remember exactly how that was done, but your dvd owner's manual should tell you. Oh, the difference between DPLII and dd or dts is amazing.

3. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

I also have the 650. It's great. But as I've been posted in the "Home Theater Basics" section I've been having problems with Dolby Pro Logic II mode when playing discs that are not encoded with 5.1 surround (in this case, 2.0 or Dolby Surround). In these cases, the receiver switches to PLII and it sounds bad. I'm not talking about just the difference between DD and PLII. This is bad. The front and rear speakers sound awful. It's like someone is jiggling the wires in the back. I have Pioneer DVD Player hooked up with a digital cable and the setting in the DVD Audio menu set to "Digital" instead of "PCM". If I switch to PCM some of the non-5.1 discs sound great in PLII. Also, my PS2 (which is hooked up with analog inputs) sounds great in PLII. How do you guys have your audio menus set up in your DVD players? Does it give you the option to select "Dolby Digital" vs. "PCM"?

4. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

Michael M, I have seen your posts and my receiver works just fine. Before I got the optical cable, I watched dd material in DPLII from dvds and had no problem. I was amazed at the sound, which only got better when I could get dd and dts plugged in. Further, I have watched my kids' Disney VHS tapes in PLII and listened to music cds in music prologic with no problem either (although I prefer the all channel stereo for music). I have never had popping or scratching. Is your receiver from the HT-S650, or the separate Onkyo receiver? They may be different. I haven't be able to pin down whether the receiver in the S650 is a different model, or merely the Onkyo separate 500 rebadged for the HTIB.

5. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

This may have been sent twice. If so, sorry. I got an error message.

Did you have your DVD Player hooked up with analog cables initially to your receiver and it sounded good in PLII? Do you know what your audio settings are on in your DVD Audio Menu (in setup)? My receiver sounds great in 5.1 digital. It's just 2.0 and Surround from the DVD Player that sound bad. Have you put your ear up to the speaker? It sounds ok from a distance but horrible up close. How do things that aren't in 5.1? Like special features and such?

I have the receiver that came with the 650 Home Theater package. As far as I know it's the same as the one they sell separately.

6. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

Yes, I had analog cables (RCA) from my ps2 to the receiver, and still do from vcr to receiver. I did stand by the rear speakers initially, while in PLII mode, and no crackling. I do NOT have the snow white disk on which you first noticed the problem, and I'm not sure if the VHS tapes have dolby surround, or even dolby 2, as opposed to stereo recording. I'll check tonight. There seem to be a few HT-S650 owners here, and I wonder if anyone else has heard your issues?