What's new

Questions About Older Movies On Blu-Ray + TV In Widescreen (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Dude, nothing should looked stretched or out-of-proportion - ever.

1:85 is an aspect ratio of width to height. It has nothing to do with wether or not the disc is a dvd or blu-ray. Either format, 1:85 should fill the widescreen tv with no bars on any side of the screen.

2:35 is a slightly wider aspect ratio than 1:85, which means that in order to fit the entire image area into that of the common widescreen television, small black bars will appear above and below the image.

1:33 is yet another aspect ratio which is pretty much square, meaning that on a widescreen set you will have bars on the left and right of the image. The vast majority of films produced before 1950 or so fall into this category, along with lots of material produced for TV before HD became commonplace.

In the early days of DVD, many of the discs were not "enhanced for widescreen". These dvd's would not auto-format to utilize the full resolution of a widescreen TV. They would fill the center "square" area of the screen and the user would have to utilize the zoom function of the television to fill more screen real-estate.

Set your DVD player to output to 16:9. If you have it set to output to 1:33 then you are going to have some stretchy people.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
what you are saying is that 1:85 should fill my screen on blu - ray... while on a DVD player it should not correct?
No, that is not correct. It is the oppposite of correct. It is completely, totally, cosmically wrong. It is so wrong, and so contrary to everything that you have been told in every reply in this thread, that I am at a total loss as to where you got this idea. It seems to me that we have all been wasting our time here, because I'm not even sure we are speaking the same language.

A 1.85:1 image (that is a ratio, in which the first number is the width of the image and the second the height of the image) is going to appear exactly the same on a given TV set, regardless of the source, provided the both the source device and the TV are using the proper settings.

I, for one, am going to give up on this thread unless you start answering our questions.

1) List every single piece of equipment in your system. Make and model. ("The Bose 1.2.3 system" is not a model number. Please look on the back of the unit and get the actual number.)

2) Describe how each is connected.

3) Describe the output settings on your DVD player and your PS3.

to see if I can get them to appear via widescreen to me - meaning bars below and top - which to me is widescreen and looks clearer..
"Widescreen" is not something defined by you perceptions. There is no such thing as "widescreen to me" or "widescreen to you." If an image has an aspect ratio of greater than 1.37:1, it is widescreen. If it is 1.37:1 or less (1.33:1, for instance, which is the SD television ratio) it is not widescreen. Widescreen is NOT defined by the presence of "black bars" - especially an HDTV like your set which is, itself WIDESCREEN. (Your TV's aspect ratio is about 1.78:1 - AKA 16:9 - which is - see above - wider than 1.37:1.)

If you had a standard def, standard screen-shape TV with a 1.33:1 ratio (also expressed as 4:3) all of the above ratios would have "black bars". The smaller ones would have smaller black bars, the wider ones larger bars.

Widescreen ratios range from 1.66:1 to 2.66:1. Most current widescreen films are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. The 1.85:1 films should fill your 1.78:1 screen regardless of whether they are playing on a standard DVD player or your Blu Ray player, either because the overscan inherent in most TVs will slightly enlarge the source image or because the mattes were opened a bit for the video transfer.

It would really help if you would try to simply describe what you are seeing on your screen instead of using vague terms like "filling the screen". In the case of films that look "wrong" to you - Do objects appear tall and thin (stretched vertically) or short and fat (stretched horizontally.) Or are the proportions normal?

And please, please, please, please, PUH-LEEZ play the same bloody DVD in the DVD player and the PS3 and tell us how it looks on each. I've asked you to do this at least once, and you evidently haven't. This will tell us which one of them is incorrectly adjsuted. Because believe me, if you are seeing a difference in how a 1.85:1 film looks on each, one of them is adjusted wrong. (Frankly I don't know why you're even using a standard DVD player since the PS3 plays standard def DVDs.)

But we're never going to find out which if you just keep repeatiing the same vague descriptions and confused language that has taken up most of this thread.

We really are trying to help, but you are making it very hard to do so.

Regards,

Joe

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These are cries for help from reasonable people, Clayton. And the best thing about it all: they really want to help you! They really do!

Give them the info they're asking for and you will soon have a much better-looking image on your TV. No doubt about it.

I'll just step in to give a quick http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/wel_smilie.gif to the HTF and now step away to let the experts do their job.

One quick/minor correction: 1.33:1 isn't really "square." It basically comes out to 4:3 which as was later explained is the old-type TV dimensions.

cdafunk

Auditioning
Real Name
Clayton
I am really trying to answer all the questions that are asked here -- i just don't know who's specifically to answer --

So what I can say is that If I put my DVD in my DVD bose player model # of which there is non listed on the surround sound, I put in "Superman Returns" in my DVD / Surround sounds system (it is called 123 the is the model type not the # there is only a serial #) all one system. it appears or is widescreen (bars on the top and bottoms) the is hooked up to my tv via s - video. I do not know the aspect ratio of this DVD (but i think it is 2.35), because I through out the box.

Now I just tested this - i then put the same DVD (Superman Returns) - into the blu -ray PS3 player of which is conected to my TV via HDMI - it appears to be the same. bars on top on bottom.

so I think maybe my settings are fine - potentially but maybe my perception of all of this is different.

For another example i put in the Grudge aspect ratio 1.85 on disc - plays or views as widescreen (bars top and bottom)on DVD player - i then take the same disc and put that in the blu -ray and it takes up the whole screen. (no bars)

now when I try to change the format on my TV to see if that changes - I am given the following options -- (noting some of these options are not there when I play the blu ray of blades of glory or postal).. I am not sure if this helps, but those are listed as 16x9 widescreen on the case..

Widescreen (current setting)
16:9 subtitle
movie expand16:9
movie expand 14:9
4:3
super zoom
automatic,

none of these options when selected - return said disc to be viewed like the DVD was (bars top and bottom)

The pitcher seems to extend (stretch the people) not fat or wider, . just stretched.(aka Taller)

for a similar just blu-ray dis - that appears the same way - stretch is blades of glory ..

I hope I have answered all questions - if I am missing something please let me know.
thanks,

the other questions that I forgot about was why i am viewing dvds at all on the dvd player when I have the blu ray PS3 -- the major reason is this, as the majority of the 1:85 or 1:78 aspect ratio's appear like stretched on the blu - ray.. which I don't beleive looks better on the blu ray compared to the DVD players (bose 1.2.3)

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Answer my questions, ignore the rest for now. Also follow all my directions, every single one, in order, from this post. I keep on asking you to do a number of things, and you always skip half of them or more, and try new random stuff on your own, doing things in a haphazard, unsystematic fashion. This makes it very frustrating to try and help you. Don't invent new questions, steps, or trials. Just stick to the following:

1. Set the Tv's "format" mode to "widescreen". Don't use any other setting! If you switch between DVD& Blu-ray at any point, hit format and make sure you are still on "widescreen".

2. Superman Returns has bars on top & bottom. This is fine. But on each player, are the bars the same size, together taking about 1/4 of the screen (rather than nearly half), and the picture undistorted on each? They should be.

3. Go into the Bose video settings. Look for "TV aspect ratio". Is it set to "widescreen" or "normal/std"? Set it to widescreen. It may not be exactly this wording. Please specify exactly which of the following Bose "3·2·1" systems you have:
3·2·1 GSX or GS or just plain 3·2·1? Series III or Series II or I? What year did you buy it?

4. Play "The Grudge" in the Bose. It *should* take up the whole screen, no distortion. If you are seeing bars, do the people look normal, or short & fat? If you are seeing bars top & bottom only, & the people still look normal to you, maybe you need your eyes checked.

5. Play "The Grudge" in the PS3. Again it should take up the whole screen, no distortion. Hit "info" on the TV remote. The TV should display information about the incoming signal. Are there any of the following numbers: 480p/480i/720p/1080i? If so which?

6. Play a Blu-ray in the PS3. Again hit "info" on the TV and report any #s.

7. Go into the PS3 settings, video settings. Please note what you have currently for the following settings, if present:
- DVD wide display
-BD/DVD upscaler

8. Go into PS3 settings, "display settings". Report connector, output resolution settings, tv type settings if given the option.

Edited by Stephen Tu - 7/29/2009 at 12:46 am GMT
Edited by Stephen Tu - 7/29/2009 at 01:04 am GMT
Edited by Stephen Tu - 7/29/2009 at 01:16 am GMT

cdafunk

Auditioning
Real Name
Clayton
1. Set the Tv's "format" mode to "widescreen". Don't use any other setting! If you switch between DVD& Blu-ray at any point, hit format and make sure you are still on "widescreen". [COLOR= #ff0000]ok - this is generally what I am on at all times. [/COLOR]

2. Superman Returns has bars on top & bottom. This is fine. But on each player, are the bars the same size, together taking about 1/4 of the screen (rather than nearly half), and the picture undistorted on each? They should be.[COLOR= #000080] i would say it is about 1/2 the screen - meaning 1/4 at top and bottom. [/COLOR]

3. Go into the Bose video settings. Look for "TV aspect ratio". Is it set to "widescreen" or "normal/std"? Set it to widescreen. It may not be exactly this wording. Please specify exactly which of the following Bose "3·2·1" systems you have:
3·2·1 GSX or GS or just plain 3·2·1? Series III or Series II or I? What year did you buy it? [COLOR= #000080] it is a GS III series i bought it this year - I could not find a aspect ratio - under the video section it has widescreen TV: Yes (16X9) DVD image: modified or original, video connector HDMI - (this i just changed this weekend). and then TV video format: which is on NTSC (US) does not look like I can change - does this help? [/COLOR]

4. Play "The Grudge" in the Bose. It *should* take up the whole screen, no distortion. If you are seeing bars, do the people look normal, or short & fat? If you are seeing bars top & bottom only, & the people still look normal to you, maybe you need your eyes checked.
[COLOR= #000080]so now i played the grudge - and now it takes up the whole screen as to which prior to this it did not? no bars - [/COLOR] [COLOR= #000080]
[/COLOR]
5. Play "The Grudge" in the PS3. Again it should take up the whole screen, no distortion. Hit "info" on the TV remote. The TV should display information about the incoming signal. Are there any of the following numbers: 480p/480i/720p/1080i? If so which?[COLOR= #000080] the format displayed is widescreen, (mode is virtual dolby surround,) rating, none - the top info displayed is HDMI - Other - 480p[/COLOR]

6. Play a Blu-ray in the PS3. Again hit "info" on the TV and report any #s. playing "Wanted" info displayed ---- the format displayed is "automatic", (mode is virtual dolby surround,) rating, none - the top info displayed is HDMI - Other - 1080i
****note*** changed the format display to "widescreen" on the TV remote - 1/4 of the screen has black bars on top and bottom.

7. Go into the PS3 settings, video settings. Please note what you have currently for the following settings, if present:
- DVD wide display [COLOR= #000080]Letterbox[/COLOR]
-BD/DVD upscaler Off

8. Go into PS3 settings, "display settings". Report connector, output resolution settings, tv type settings if given the option. [COLOR= #000080]are you taling about going through the "video output settings" ? if so the connector is HDMI, setting method is automatic, max resolution is 1080i, with 480p and 720p also listed. , the cross color reduction filter is "off", the RGB full Rang (HDMI) is set to "full", the Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-white (HDMI) is set to "on"

I hope I have answered everything?

thanks,
C[/COLOR]

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
OK, looks like we finally made progress!

2. Superman Returns has bars on top & bottom. This is fine. But on each player, are the bars the same size, together taking about 1/4 of the screen (rather than nearly half), and the picture undistorted on each? They should be.[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)] i would say it is about 1/2 the screen - meaning 1/4 at top and bottom.[/COLOR]

1/2 the screen is too much. You should have noticed that objects were too short/fat. Now that you have changed "The Grudge" to take the whole screen as it should, if you put in Superman Returns you should see only about 1/4 the screen black bars, 1/8 each at top/bottom, and the picture undistorted.

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]under the video section it has widescreen TV: Yes (16X9) DVD image: modified or original, video connector HDMI - (this i just changed this weekend). and then TV video format: which is on NTSC (US) does not look like I can change - does this help? [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]so now i played the grudge - and now it takes up the whole screen as to which prior to this it did not? no bars -[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]
[/COLOR]
OK, now it looks like you have the correct setting on the Bose. Before you probably had "widescreen TV: No". It's undistorted if the TV is also on "widescreen", yes?

6. Play a Blu-ray in the PS3. Again hit "info" on the TV and report any #s. [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]playing "Wanted" info displayed ---- the format displayed is "automatic", (mode is virtual dolby surround,) rating, none - the top info displayed is HDMI - Other - 1080i
****note*** changed the format display to "widescreen" on the TV remote - 1/4 of the screen has black bars on top and bottom.
[/COLOR]

It looks like you should be OK now. That's the way "Wanted" is supposed to look. About 1/4 screen taken up by bars, 1/8 each top/bottom. All 2.35:1/2.39:1 should look approximately like this. Any 1.85:1 should take up the whole screen, undistorted, as long as you are "widescreen" on the TV. The info should always say "1080i" for any Blu-ray. No more distortion on anything, right?

There might be a few old DVDs like "Scream" which are distorted in "widescreen" mode, bars taking up a 1/2 the screen on a 2.35:1 movie. Or still having bars on a 1.85:1 movie. Switch to "16:9 movie expand" on these to fix this.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]Yes HDTV is close to 2K, but it has a much more limited color space than the digital projection you see in the theater.

Yes a 1080p blu-ray disc is fairly close to the resolution that you may see in your local theater from film projection. This is one of the reasons that the studios are so big on copy protection. It is potentially possible for a pirate say in China to take a blu-ray disc, crack the copy projection, and then use the digital files to scan out a reasonably good copy to 35mm film for distribution in that country.

Doug

When you say limited color space, are you refering to the TV or the storage medium?

I know that TV's up until recently have been pretty limited in colorspace, but with some exceeding the NTSC standard now, aren't we getting much closer? I often see rating from 105% to 110% the NTSC standard these days. I don't know what films colorspace would be equivalent to in the NTSC standard though?

I didn't think there was any limitation in the medium aside from what's introduced by downscaling to 1080p and compression?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's an example of what a 2.35:1 film should look like by way of black bars on a 16:9 set:

[SIZE= smaller]Any excuse to post a picture of Meghan Fox...[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks