questions about my equipment

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris S., Sep 26, 2003.

1. Chris S.

Chris S. Auditioning

Hello, I am new to this forum and have some questions. This is kind of long so bear with me. I have just started to gather equipment for my theater and here is what I have so far:
    Sony VPH-1270 CRT Multiscan projector
    Extron Lancia line doubler
    cheap DVD player
    70x70 screen
    The problem I had at first was getting a signal to the projector which only has S-video or RGBHV inputs. So I had to go with the S-video, but I know that isn't that great. So I looked around to find a way to get a better signal, or my signal converted, and nobody knew how. Then I got a hold of the custom installers at Magnolia HiFI and they told me Extron makes a signal converter, but it is too expensive. So I looked some more, and got the line doubler, which has the output I needed. My friend says that a line doubler isn't going to do anything to cable TV, so it was a waste of money, when I could get a progressive scan DVD player. But since I have no way to hook it up other than S-video, I still needed some kind of signal converter, so the line doubler works for that. So here's my real questions:
    1. Is this setup going to give me the best, or close to the best picture I can get with my projector?
    2. What about a scaler? I have read they can make the resolution higher to maximize the projector. But do they make the picture worse? I've heard about artifacts.
    3. Does the line doubler really not do anything to cable? So football games are still going to look like crap?
    4. and finally, are there enough things higher than 480p worth worrying about getting more resolution for? Someone told me there isn't anything that uses 1080 yet, so don't worry.
    Thanks for any help you guys may have, these may be newbie questions, but I didn't see the info I was looking for when I was searching around.

2. Chris S.

Chris S. Auditioning

[​IMG] Nobody knows? I just read a post on another HT forum that says line doublers aren't going to make cable look any better, so I guess that answers that question for me. And some of the games on the X-box are 720p, but I haven't found too many other things that are higher than 480p. So I guess 2 of my questions are answered. But what about the scaler making higher resolution, do they really work, and are worth buying?

3. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried asking your questions in the CRT projector area of avsforum? -- they are the experts.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Chris, did you find your answers at the CRT forum at AVS?

Line doublers and processors do indeed make the picture significantly better on a CRT projector.

It's hard for me to follow all the different CRT's out there, I have a barco G808, but I think that sony can display very high resolutions. Feeding it with S-video is going to look like crap, plus s-video does not supply progressive scan (480p). To feed directly from the DVD player, you need a component-video to RGB transcoder. Again, the crt forum is the place to be for all this info, if you've not gone there yet. Ideally you'd want to process the video up higher than just 480p, which still doesn't look so hot blown up onto a huge screen. So I hope you got these answered already, if so, updates?