What's new

Questions about multizone setup (1 Viewer)

elduderino737

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Hello, I came across this forum and read some previous articles that were very informational. I thought I'd ask a couple questions and make sure I'm understanding my receiver correctly and if not how it actually works in regards to multizone. I got a great deal on my existing Denon avr-2808ci receiver. Never used the multizones because to be honest, I never really thought about it. Now, kind of understanding what MZ's are I have a hot tub setup outside I'd like to have speaker control at. (Side note, I'm currently looking at buying a version of the Yamaha rxa models for network capability, plus I heard its a way better receiver. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/?selected=384538_384537_384536_383289_239659_&mode=compare ) We mostly stream video from a server to my tv through the denom receiver, we do have an xbox,ps3,macmini connected as well for the streaming or playing video games. My question is with the multizone feature, so if I have a volume knob outside at the hot tub, I just turn that on and if that zone is on, then I get music, even if we're watching a movie inside? What's the best solution for trying to accomplish this if that is what I'm trying to do? Would the music have to be constantly playing then since all you'd need to do outside is turn the volume knob up? how about changing channels ie. pandora, or radio? Another scenario I was thinking about was also running speakers to my loft area upstairs...now can I have 5.1 upstairs too from the same receiver or is zone2,3 only for stereo channels? How does that work remote wise? You have to be able to see the receiver in the main entertainment room from the loft to make the little zone remote work? Lots of questions and I appoligize, I'm just new to this whole thing and want to make sure if I set this up, I set it up correctly and Im not overlooking some features I could be doing with the equipment or over paying for a receiver I don't need. Thanks and any advice is welcome.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 2808 is 7.1. Are you using all 7? If so, you run the multi-zone output to another amp. The RX-A(mainly from just being "newer") are 7.1 or 9.1(the .2 is meaningless). Using 5 or 7 in the main room? Again, same as above...except the Yamaha(again cause it is newer) have(not all of the them, the 2020 and 3020 definitely) the ability to send digital to the 2nd zone. Why is "digital to the 2nd zone" important? It means your 2808 is only ANALOG(as in red/white RCA) to the 2nd zone. The Yamaha(if you buy the correct one) is analog or optical. Regardless you need to determine if the AVR itself is going to power the zone...or simply feed the zone.

elduderino737

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I've been super busy and side tracked and I apologize for the delay. I'm currently running 5.1 in my main room. Digital to the 2nd zone... If I can do it then yes, I'd run it to my loft. Digital surr is better sounding than analog right. That's why. I guess I don't understand the diff in powering a zone and feeding a zone?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Feeding the zone means the AVR is merely providing a signal to the 2nd zone. Then the zone itself has another amplifier there to provide power. Why would you do that? Simple. Maybe Zone 2 is a bedroom and you have a stereo in there that has an input. And all you want is "content" from the other room. Or maybe all you want to do is put speakers in this room and the AVR that is providing the content...is also powering the speakers. Both ways are the correct way to do it.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Shawn :) Red and white analog is fine for zone two or three applications where only two speakers are used. There is no benefit using a digital connection as any surround sound formats will be down mixed to two channel anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks