Questions about mounting LCD HD TV unit to the wall

Discussion in 'Displays' started by orestes, Mar 15, 2006.

1. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I wonder how you get to the back of an LCD HDTV unit once it is hung on the wall with those special brackets. Isn't it a hassle to reach behind to connect and disconnect video inputs?

Another question what do you do to the center and front satellite speakers? Do you hang your center speaker on top or below the screen and the LF and RF speaker on each side?

I am asking these stupid questions because within a year or so I may upgrade my "old" HHDRPTV 40 inch Toshiba unit for either an LLCDHHDor a plasmas HHDunit. I think I can even get a 50" unit fit the wall depending on how wide a 50" unit actually is.

I want to make sure that when I buy such a unit and brackets, that it will not be a hassle to get to the back of the unit to change input cables and whatnot.

Thanks,
    orestes

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I needed to mount a bedroom tv in a corner, so I got a cantilever mount that swings around and has 3 moving joints, so I have plenty of access. From the way that mine worked, I also assume you can get behind even the mounts that are mounted on a flat surface. This is because the basic design is to mount a plate to the wall, and another plate to the back of the screen. Then, you attach the plates together. To get to the connections later, you just disengage the two plates. No need to take the mounting bracket off the wall. Check out the designs on www.omnimount.com. They have detailed plans and instructions for all their mounts. Here's my mount. Ignore the drywall patches. I patched up some cracks while I had the mud out. [​IMG]

Before (spaghetti mess):

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Back of mount with tv swung out:

[​IMG]

3. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Wow, that's great! That's what I really need when I get a flat screen. Thanks a million.

Regards,
    orestes

4. Charlie Campisi

My mount is the mid-size rated mount. They make the same mount for bigger screens. Circuit city and some Canadian sellers sell damaged box mounts on ebay. I got it for 1/6 the price of retail with a ripped box. All parts included and sealed. The mounts are very pricey retail.

I also have a ton of connections as you can see - AV for vcr, s-video + audio for directivo, RG6 for ATSC antenna, component + audio for dvd player and component + audio for eventual HD directivo or HD dvr, plus the power cable. If I didn't use so many, they all could have been concealed in the removable panels on the mounts arms. The only time you see the cables tho is when you get to the side of the screen. Not visible when watching or when the set is off and folded away.

5. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Charlie

Thanks again for your input. And yes, when I went to see the price for your particular brackets, I found them to be quite expensive. Perhaps when I am actually ready to buy a flat panel TV (hopefully by the end of 2007), I can find these brackets are a more reasonable price.

One question though, how do you know that CC is selling damage boxes of these items on ebay? Is a CC seller on ebay?

Thanks for all the info.

Regards,
    orestes

6. Charlie Campisi

Yes, their ebay name is trading_circuit. Their feedback has some negatives, but they sell high volume, sometimes used goods. There is some risk, but the savings may make it worthwhile. It was for me. Here's a link to their "about us" page: Trading Circuit