Questions about LCD projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom Kay, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hello

I am probably going to buy a FP within a few months, and have researched a fair bit so far. My throw distance will be around 10 feet, and I want to achieve a screen size of around 80-85 inches diagonal. I'm not greedy !

So, I have read the LCD vs DLP test shown on projectorcentral.com and am concerned about LCD fading with time. I would probably try to cool the unit better than they did in the test, as this may have lead to the picture degrading problems.

So, questions:

1. is the LCD picture slow-death a real problem? Do they fade? Is there a simple cure?

2. Is there one brand, such as Sanyo Z2 that lasts longer?

3. Is there one brand that has a better picture, based on black levels, contrast, etc?

4. I'm not stuck on LCD, so do people have more faith in DLP for front projectors?

Thanks, any input is helpful. Tom.

2. MarkB

MarkB Extra

1 - The bulb will slowly lose it's brighness throughout its' life, but no, it should not degrade as listed in the report. Real world use of a projector will never be running 24x7 and I have never seen people indicating this type of problems in any forum.

2 - ???

3 - Hot LCD brands of the moment, Sanyo Z1, Z2, Panasonic lt500u, maybe the 300 as well.

4 - I have LCD. I was much more concerned with rainbows from DLP than any of the issues with LCD. I understand rainbows don't affect everyone, but I'd hate to make someone sick because they came over to watch a game/movie.

Good luck!

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    1. is the LCD picture slow-death a real problem? Do they fade? Is there a simple cure?

- Not a real problem. The bulb will lose some brightness over a period of time. I have had 2 projectors and 3 bulbs between them and the change over time was not perceivable to me.

2. Is there one brand, such as Sanyo Z2 that lasts longer?

- If you mean bulb life then the Panasonic L series is aorund 5000 hours I believe.

3. Is there one brand that has a better picture, based on black levels, contrast, etc?

- The Sony HS20 is one of the best current generation LCD's for contrast ratio at about 1300:1

4. I'm not stuck on LCD, so do people have more faith in DLP for front projectors?

- My personal opinion on this is, if your budget is low, get an LCD unless your budget is high enough to accomodate the better DLP's with faster colour wheels and less noticeable rainbow effect.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

As far as the LCD degradation report, it has sounded questionable at best. Wasn't it done by Texas Instruments (aka DLP agenda). I wouldn't believe it until more conclusive test by a more non-partisan group was done.

Still, I would opt to test out a DLP for the rainbow effect before going LCD. Better contrast, less screen door effect (except I hear the Panny LCD line has improved SDE). Along with other LCD issues that can crop up - like vertical banding. Neither technology is perfect, but DLP's big issue is the rainbows - a non-issue for many people whose physiology is immune to the effect.

I see some rainbows on my X1, but I found after a month or so I adjusted to the minor ones - the ones I still see are only in white during scenes with a lot of contrast. My fiancee sees less rainbows than me, one of my friends saw them like me, and the other 6-7 people have no idea what we are talking about.

If you and the family can't see rainbows, it's the way to go. Honestly, the higher speed ones eliminate 90% of the rainbows for me, so something like the Optoma H30 or the upcoming Infocus 4805 (both with 4x wheels) would solve my problems - if I had the $ to upgrade.