Questions about KVM switches

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stryker, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I've been looking for a device to switch between my 3 VGA sources, and someone recently suggested a KVM switch. I've used them before at work, but never for HT applications.
    The one that I'm considering is this one:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...ries%2F ct_Id>
    Primarily for the higher video bandwidth vs. other KVMs, and the styling should look nice in the theater. Any reason why this will not fit the bill?
    Also, can KVMs pass component over VGA? My JVC DVD player is hooked up using a VGA-to-component cable, and it would suck for it not to pass through.

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I use their olders ones at work and at home. The one you are looking at I think specs out better.
    I love those things - having multiple monitors and keyboards is a pain. Only time they aren't good is if you want to use one computer and someone else wants to do something as well on another one.
    Don't buy it from Beklin though. I usually get mine from www.buy.com at about 1/2 the Belkin price.

3. Charles Bober

Charles Bober Stunt Coordinator

Hey Matt. That will fit the bill nicely. I use a Belkin at home and I've had no problems. If you need something smaller, I'd recommend something like this (I shall call him Mini-me....LOL): IOGear Mini-KVM
    As far as component to VGA, I see no reason why it won't work.
    Good luck.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

It should get here Tuesday, I'll post a review when I get it all hooked up. Thanks for your help guys.