What's new
World Wide Stereo

Questions about Home Theater system with budget (1 Viewer)

metallicamike31

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting after doing a lot research. I am new to the home theater hobby but I am getting interested very fast.

I am looking into buying a complete 5.1 home theater system (htib, or separate receiver and speakers) to go with a LG HDTV 32" LCD. I am going to be living in an apartment with a couple of my friends. The size of the room I will be putting it in is 12' x 17'.

One thing is, I am a college student, which means I do not have a lot of money. I would like to keep my budget under $500 for the entire surround sound system. The system will be used for watching sports games and movies. Also I am sure we will have party's, so also some [loud] music.

I was not sure if they best rout would be to get a nicer receiver that I would be able to use down the road when I get my own place and get not as good speakers now because of the threat they may get damaged living with 3 other guys at college.

Any suggestions would be appreciated just to get me started on where I should look.

Thanks

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
3 choices
1-HTIB pro- you get complete surround system now. cons- poor sound quality especially at high volume, poor low bass performance, difficult to impossible to upgrade.

2-the slow road - buying a few pieces now and building the system over time. pros- you get good quality gear that will last, sound good and upgrade easily. cons- could be a year or more before you have a complete system and by the time you do, you'll probably want to upgrade some part or another. keep in mind that speakers are the most important piece sound-wise, with a little care they last a long time and have the greatest affect on the sound you hear. also make sure you get a center that matches your mains which probably means buying them at the same time.

3- used. pro- complete system now, good sound for the money, upgradable. cons- need to know what you're looking for and/or know a trusted used dealer.

quality loud low bass is a challenge at much higher budgets. unless you go the used route and get very lucky, you will be compromising on bass.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale