Questions about History of DVD - Studio Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Jun 28, 2002.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I am in the process of making a new history of DVD website, and I have a few questions related to the state of our beloved hobby back in the early days. I didnt get my first player til Spring 2000, so if any of the early adopters could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Here goes:

1. Warner and Columbia were the first two major studios to support DVD back in March 97, is this correct?

2. Which studios originally supported Divx, but not DVD?

3. Universal released their first DVD titles at the end of 1997, is this correct?

4. When did Paramount, Fox, MGM, and Buena Vista (all the Disney companies) first announce support for DVD.

5. When did the first titles come out with anamorphic enhancement from Paramount, Fox, MGM, and Buena Vista?

6. Which studio released the first "fully loaded" SE?

7. When did movies on DVD-9s start showing up?

8. When did Universal start releasing their Collector's Series discs?

9. When did Artisan and Anchor Bay start releasing titles?

10. Universal was the first studio to support DTS tracks on DVD, is this correct?

11. When did Fox and Buena Vista start releasing movies with DTS soundtracks?

Uuuh, I know thats a lot of ask, but if someone has the answers to even one, feel free to reply.

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

3. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

If I remember correctly, "Teaching Mrs. Tingle" was BVHE's first DVD with a DTS track.

4. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment also stopped supporting 16:9 after the Alien films.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment currently does not have a consistent 16:9 policy in place. Some titles are letterbox and others are pan & scan.

6. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Divx started to die before it was even on the market? When it came out, Fox, Paramount and Dreamworks had movies out on DIVX but not on DVD- I hadn't been following things too closely at the time but was pretty mad when I checked out a DIVX demo the first week it was out and saw they had movies from these studios out when they weren't doing DVD- about a month later they did put out 'regular' DVDs, several of Fox's movies were priced at $34.95 I thought to make the $4.49 DIVX disc look more appealing.

8. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, Ridley Scott was behind the Alien films, bless him [​IMG]
    I believe that Patton and Thin Red Line and Tora Tora Tora(all released at the same time) did mark the start of "all anamorphic, all the time" from Fox. I remember they weren't marked as such however
    I believe those titles were also some of the first from the reign of our beloved Peter Staddon, our saviour, and king of Fox DVD excellence!

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

11. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Back in 1998, I put together a timeline for the DVDFile web site. Unfortunately they got my name mixed up since I went by "Czar" then and should read ©1998 Steven "Czar" Page. It may help answer some of your questions?
    http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...e/timeline.htm
    I know Fox had an exclusive contract to release movies through Divx originally but when the format started to die, they reluctantly switched to what they called back then "open DVD". It wasn't until upper management changes that Fox really took a nose-dive into the DVD market!
    Look at the timeline, you will see that there are a few incorrect answers given above including the DTS question.