Questions about HDTV, 16:9, Toshiba 65H80...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug R, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

I'm seriously trying to hold myself back from getting a widescreen 16:9 HDTV, specifically the Toshiba 65H80, which is falling in price because of Toshiba's new model line.
    But I'm still pretty ignorant about HDTV and widescreen viewing. I hope a kind soul could help me out.
    1) First, any one have the Toshiba 65H80 (or any of its sizes) and can offer an opinion on quality? How it matches up against competitors?
    2) I have Direct TV. How will Direct TV handle the widescreen television. I noticed that there was a setting in my receiver for 16:9 television. Will this simply stretch the picture to fit or are some Direct TV broadcasts in 16:9 or widescreen format?
    3) What steps do I need to take to get HDTV feeds from Direct TV? Do I need a different dish than the standard dish?
    4) What steps do I need to take to receive HDTV network broadcasts? Does the Toshiba possess the necessary receiver equipment or is it a separate purchase?
    5) I have a decent Sony DVD player (with component output). Will I be impressed enough with its picture (I am now on a non-16:9 tv) or will I craze a progressive scan DVD player?
    I think that's it for now.. I may have some follow up questions. I realize many may have been answered before and there may be a faq to help me but for the sake of completion and comprehensiveness, I figured I'd just post.
    I appreciate any and all help.
    Doug

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I can answer some of your questions:
    You will need a new dish AND a new receiver (RCA DTC100 or similar model from Sony, Toshiba, etc.) to get HDTV from DirectTV. The new dish is larger and actually points to two satellites simultaneously. The new receiver will also receive local HDTV broadcasts (you also will need a UHF antenna), and yes, you will need it.
    Yes, there are 16:9 broadcasts from DirectTV, but only in HDTV.
    I don't know anything about what line doubler the Toshiba may have built in, but a progressive DVD player is certain to give you better picture quality, and you WILL be glad you got such a player.
    Enjoy.
    ------------------

3. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

I currently have DirecTV.. would it be as simple as purchasing the new dish and hooking it up in the other dish's place or would it require rewiring at all? I believe it was installed into/through the cable line.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Doug

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

To answer some of your questions:
    1. Quality is first rate. I am a proud owner of the 56H80 and don't regret the purchase for a second. Note that The Perfect Vision rated the Pioneer Elite series as the best RPTVs available, but noted that they came under strong competition from the new Toshiba's.
    2. Usually a 16:9 setting on a satellite receiver only affects 16:9 material (ie. HDTV). It does not affect normal material.
    5. The line doubler on the H80 series is very good - especially models made after 1/21/01, as they incorporate 3:2 pulldown detection. A progressive player will squeeze a bit more performance out of the set, to be sure.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

You won't need rewiring between the dish and your receiver. However, you will need some additional cabling at the dish and a multiswitch, since the new dish has two LNBs. One of the satellites is in a different location, so you will need to make sure that the dish can see both of them from your current location.
    ------------------