What's new

Questions about Front Projection TV (1 Viewer)

Venu Potluri

Auditioning
I have been thinking of purchasing either the Pioneer Elite or Mitsubishi Diamond Series TV. I don't like the Pioneer Elite's prices. I thought about Front projection. (I do have unfinished basement which is about 2000 sq. ft. in size but finishing it to build a home theater is a couple years away) I don't have a dedicated room for this yet. I have a couple of rooms upstairs I can use but don't want to go upstairs to watch TV, besides the missus will be beside herself if I did that. Our family viewing is not very intense. We watch some DVDs, tapes, etc. But most watching is Satellite. I am wondering about these issues.

1. Does a projector have to be right in front of the screen?
Can it sit at an angle?
2. My budget for this is about $3500. Can I get a decent DLP projector and screen (about 80"), instead of buying one of the RPTVs?
3. Are there screens that can be stowed away after watching?
4. I just wonder if any of the FPs in my budget would compare favorably with the picture that I can get on the RPTVs I mentioned. I don't want to get an FP if I am sacrificing quality.
5. Is there a site which is good for FP reviews, etc?
6. Can a projector be connected to a stereo system? does the connection go to a receiver? We have a Bose Audio system with those tiny little spekers.
7. Is there an optimal viewing angle limitation with these?
8. Any opinions on Sony CINEZA™ LCD Front Projector
VPL-HS10?
9. Is a DLP projector better than an LCD projector?
10. Is a room with windows on all four walls a bad place for FPs? I have one room that is considered a sun room. It has at least two windows on each wall. I use blinds now. I could add drapes to cut off the sunlight while projector is in use. It also has two skylights on the ceiling. Is sunlight bad for watching TV with FPs? Are there screens I can buy that negate a bright room?

Thanks.

JasonGarrett

Agent
1) Depends on the projector. Horizontal lens shift or horizontal keystoning will allow the projector to sit at an angle.

2) Yes. The InFocus X1 and Sharp PG-M20X are the two popular DLP projectors in that price range.

3) Yes. A pull-down screen is the obvious solution, but some people have wall-mounted screens that they put away somewhere when they aren't being used.

4) The large picture size from a projector magnifies every little flaw in the signal. DVDs look great, but cable TV sometimes doesn't. You don't exactly sacrifice picture quality with a projector, but you do make picture flaws more visible.

5) This forum, projectorcentral.com and the "Digital Projectors Under $5K" forum at avsforum.com.

6) You would want to use your stereo.

7) Yes. It varies depending on the type of screen.

8) I have one and I love it. I'm very glad that I didn't get a RPTV instead.

9) Depends who you ask. Both technologies have their strengths and weaknesses.

10) Some light is tolerable, especially for watching TV. I watch TV with the lights on, but movies are definitely better in the dark. Direct sunlight is unacceptable. There are screens that will help with a bright room.

Venu Potluri

Auditioning
Jason,

Would you mind telling me what screen you use with the Sony projector? Are you happy with how the Satellite/Cable TV looks, compared to the RPTVs you may have looked at? Thanks.

JasonGarrett

Agent
I'm using a Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White, which is a 1.1 gain gray screen. It's a Model C manual pull-down, and is mounted in front of a fireplace. It's an untensioned screen so it does not lay perfectly flat, but it's not too bad.

I am happy with the way cable TV looks. It's far from perfect, but the huge picture sure is cool. Some channels look much better than others... stuff that is available in high definition often looks very good, while old movies on the WB or TNT can look pretty washed out and smeary. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. I have no regrets.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Is a room with windows on all four walls a bad place for FPs?
You will want to install curtains, shutters or some other such device over all the windows in the room otherwise ambient light will be a major problem for any projector in that room.

I suggest one of the first things you do is to demo the following with one of your DVD's...

- Sony HS10
- Infocus X1
- Sanyo Z1
- Dell 3200MP

and decide for yourself on the LCD vs DLP comparison. Also, take a read through this article...
Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs?. The author is a great guy.

;)

Venu Potluri

Auditioning
If I were to put this in our family room where we spend most of our time, the screen will have to be in a corner of the room next to the fireplace. I can't do an electric screen that comes down with a switch, etc. Currently our sofa location dictates this position for the screen, in addition to the place where the structured wiring outlet is located. I can't mount this FP on the ceiling as I don't want to run wires along the wall. (I can put this in the middle of the ceiling where a ceiling fan currently is. but how am I going run wires to the FP? Don't want to do it along the wall). It would be great if I can put the FP on a table next to the sofa.

Of course if I want to put the FP in the basement, which is unfinished and won't be finished for a while, I can put it in front of a screen. I am limited currently with what I can do. I am not concerned right now whether the sound quality is great, etc. as I don't have a dedicated room yet for this. Still I want to go ahead with the FP as I don't want to buy a Pioneer Elite for 7K that wieghs 350 lbs. and stands out like a sore thumb if I put it in the family room.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
So a table (or shelf) mounted projector with a temporary screen seems like a good option for now until you decide to place the setup in the basement. When you do, I would opt for a fixed screen (or electric if it is in the budget) and a more traditional ceiling placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks