Questions about E.T. and Jurassic Park DVD problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobby Garfield, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Bobby Garfield

I know it's old news, and I apologize if it has been discussed to death already (I'm new to the forum), but in the huge Back to the Future thread, there are a few vague mentions of the E.T. "debacle" and a problem with the Jurassic Park DTS DVD, but nothing concrete was said about either to give me any indication of exactly what happened. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot. I'm happy I found this great forum.

2. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    Bobby...

Universal originally released the DTS version of JP and I believe THE LOST WORLD with what some here believe was a sub par sound mix. For months later... Universals response was "nothings wrong with it". After several more months, Universal let it slip that they had released versions which were confirmed to have difficulty..especially in the low end..the bass. They then re-released the titles..which were judged to be far superior.. but they never publicly admitted to any difficulties, and fans were forced to pick through copies to determine which was the original and which the update.

E.T.

In the months before this title's release.. Universal maintained that the only was to purchase the unaltered '82 version would be the box set. The two disc release would not contain the original cut. Many who desired to have the original cut preordered the box set.. some begrudgingly. Several days before the release..fan rumors maintained that the original cut WAS on the two disc. Needless to say..more unhappy fans.

And thats the state of affairs with Universal....

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Welcome to the forum Bobby. At the top of each page, before the posts, you'll be able to find the Search button. It's pretty accurate. It helped me a lot when I first got here.

4. Bobby Garfield

Anthony H, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Kyle, I appreciate the heads-up on the "search" feature. You're right... it's very useful. I just did searches on E.T. and Jurassic Park (just to see what people said originally), and I found what I was looking for right away.

5. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

6. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I think the people who were unhappy were the ones who ordered the $60 plus dollar 3 disc box set, as this was supposedly the only way to get the original version. So a week before the release date, it starts to get around that the $15 two disc set will have both. I know I would have felt mislead if I had ordered the 3 disc just so I could have the original version. I personally wasn't going to buy it since I have the LD boxset, but I was thrilled when I found out that the 2 disc set had the original cut.

7. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I thought it was just the first JP that had problems.[​IMG]

8. DarrellP

DarrellP Stunt Coordinator

I was a bit upset by E.T. I pre-ordered the expensive box set to get the original version, then it does not have DTS but the version on the other disc does. WTF? Why can't the studios be more consistent? I feel like I've been cheated and I paid a buttload more for this set.

9. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Dwayne,

I believe you are correct in that the Lost World did not have the same issue that the first jurassic park DTS did. Bjoern did testing between the DTS and DD dvd's on his website.

10. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter