Questions about DVD Profiler

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveK, Jun 19, 2002.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I have a couple quick questions about DVD Profiler which a search didn't answer. I just purchased a new computer which runs on Microsoft XP Professional. XP is not listed on the DVD Profiler website, so should I assume that it is not (yet) supported by DVD Profiler?

If I am able to use Profiler, do I have to go on the internet to view my collection, or is there a way I can view my database "locally"? Many people do post their collection on the internet; is this required or optional?

I know there are other programs available for creating a DVD database, but DVD Profiler seems to be by far the most popular so I'd like to give it a try. Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.

Steve K.

2. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Just pay the paltry $25 for registration....especially since DVD Profiler 2.0 is coming out soon. Only those registered will be able to get the beta.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Tony- I wasn't concerned about the registration price. $25 is a bargain if it's a good program. I merely was wondering whether Profiler would run under XP (apparently the answer is yes) and had a couple other questions. It would be foolish to pay $25 or even $5 if the program couldn't run on my computer. But now that I know it does, I'll certainly think about giving it a try.

Steve K.

4. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I've been running DVD Profiler on Windows XP since it (XP) was in beta, with no problems whatsoever.

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I also run it on XP. No issues.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XP. No issues. Nothing beats it. Nothing.

7. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

While this thread started out with the topic of 'XP' {and yes it does work and I have only found one bug with using it with 'XP' and that is printing reports with page numbers, if I have the report being numbered I get pages with only the page number and no movie data listed, turn off the page numbering and the report prints as displayed on my screen) here is a new question for fellow "DVD Profiler" users...

With more and more DVD's coming from non-retail outlets where the DVD does not have a UPC code on the packaging I was wondering if there will be a standard way to allow these DVD to be added to the data base?

Point - the "Total Movie & Entertainment" 'Double-Double Feature Pack' (40 movies)

I really hate to add all the movies as single DVD / Movie releases via the DISK ID (If they are in the data base??)

--David

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ditto that.

You can even choose to enter obscure/rare titles of your own that are not yet in the databse.

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Looks like it may be time to download DVD Profiler and give it a try. Then, assuming I like it as much as everybody else seems to, I won't hesitate to pay the $25 registration charge for the "deluxe" version.

Thanks again for the information, and the endorsement.

Steve K.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

David, you can also add by title. That's how I end up putting most of my discs, since I enter them upon preorder, and often before the UPC is known.

I hadn't heard about v2. Cool!

-Dave

11. DavidEC

12. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

If you add by title you can change the UPC code once you know it. That's what I usually do.

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

David, do you have a DVD-rom that can read diskIDs? If the disc is not in the online profile listing, just enter a new disc, have it grab the diskID and upload the information the master online database. In a few days it will appear in the list for everyone to use.

If the disk is already in the master database, you don't need to read the diskID to add it to your collection. In the Add DVD to collection section, rather than typing in the UPC, just select the Add By Title option. As long as someone somewhere added it with the diskID, it is there for everyone to use.

The only time you would not be able to share your entered information is if you created a completely new DVD record (one not in the master database), and entered it only on the basis of title - with no UPC or diskID.

-Dave

14. DavidEC

Dave-

(1) Currently DVDProfiler is _NOT_ allowing DVD's that do not have a UPC to be added to the online data base.

(2) The "Total Movie" package is 40+ movies, twenty DVD's and I have found so far seven of the disc's that I have tried do not have their ID listed in the data base. and the idea of having to place all these discs in my DVD-Rom drive is not what I call fun..

--David

15. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

If I want to see who did the score, I have to go to imdb. Maby they'll wake up and add more credit options in V2.
    The music guys are shuned again.....
    ps - Runs nice on a Mac too(with VPC of course)

Eric

16. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

An excellent program I had no problem paying $25 for.

17. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

DVD Profiler is the BEST!
    It's running just fine with my WinXP.

I do NOT have the premium Profiler Download; just the basic and have had very few problems with it.

Yet, like all other programs, a word of caution. Be sure to use the "Backup Profile Database" feature (found under the file menu). I've entered over 400 DVD titles by UPC code and would NOT want to do that again!

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

19. DavidEC