Questions about dipole placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I am trying to decide on surround speakers for the HT (media room) I'm building in my basement. I would like to use dipoles (Paradims) for my surrounds, but my room makes optimal placement difficult, if not impossible. So, I'm hitting up you experts for advice. [​IMG]
    The primary issue is that preferred mounting location (in-line with the couch) hits the front edge of a window on one side, and the back edge of a doorway on the other (if that makes sense). In order to keep the speakers at proper height, they would have to be offset by 6" - 9". In addition, on one side, the rear driver would be immediately firing across a recessed window, and on the other, the front driver would be immediately firing across an open doorway.
    The other possible mounting option would be to mount the speakers aligned with each other, but about 8' off the ground (above the window). The right speaker would still be firing its front driver across the doorway, but the left speaker would not.
    Also to be considered is that only one speaker will have a rear wall to reflect off of. The left speaker would be probably 8-10 feet from the rear wall, and the right speaker would have no rear wall.
    Which of these options would be preferred? With the offset, would the sound field still be effective?
    The last question I have is in regard to a different room the speakers will be used in until the basement is finished. The speakers would be stand-mounted and really not near any walls. Would they work in this scenario for the short term?
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

In my experience, placing dipoles too high up has a really negative effect on the soundfield. About 2-3 feet about ear level seems to work best.

With regard to the offset, how far apart are the speakers? If the room is 10' wide or so, it may throw things off a bit. 15' or more and it probably won't make much difference.

Have you considered using height adjustable speaker stands?

3. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

The walls the speakers would mount to are 15' apart. What is the reason for the height affecting the soundfield?

As for the speaker stands, they are possible an absolute last resort, but the problem would be that one of them would be sitting right in the middle of a high-traffic path. The high probability of the speaker getting knocked off the stand is a big negative for me...

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

In one of our rooms, we have a dipole surround speaker mounted above a window. It's about 2 inches below the 8-ft ceiling. The other dipole is at the same height. I sit about 7 ft away from each speaker. They work beautifully in that arrangement. One advantage of a high mounted position is that they take maximum advantage of ceiling reflections. Playing DVD films, they create an expansive, enveloping soundfield.

For your one set of drivers that would not face a wall, if it proves to be a problem, one could create an angled, painted board a bit taller than the height of the Paradigm and mounted about 2-3 inches away from the speaker. This board would reflect the speaker output into the listening area. Door-type hinges would make the angle fully adjustable.

5. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Hmm...seem to have two differing view on the speaker height issue. Anyone else have any input into this?

6. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

In my experience, placing dipoles too high up *DOES NOT* have a really negative effect on the soundfield. Here's why, IMO: putting the speakers high up will only increase the diffuse effect and therefore will not harm the soundfield. These types of speakers have no requirement to be put close to the listener's head. Rather, the farther away and the farther up the better.