Questions about connecting TiVo to PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joel Stein, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Joel Stein

Joel Stein Stunt Coordinator

Jan 24, 2004
    Someone just gave me an old TiVo box. I'm not planning on subscribing to the service; I will just record manually. Right now I have a vcr connected to my computer's video capture card and I sometimes burn dvds of recordings. I'm thinking of connecting the TiVo to the computer as I assume that a TiVo recording will be higher quality than vcr, so I'll get a better quality dvd in the end. A couple of questions:

The TiVo box has USB ports. Is there any reason to use a USB connection to the computer, or should I stick with S-VIDEO connection to the capture card?

I have cable tv and high-speed cable internet. Will the following connection work without interfering with internet access? Plug the cable from the wall into the TiVo's Cable In (to use the tv tuner and record programming) and then another cable from the TiVo's Cable Out to my cable modem (so computer can connect to internet).

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Apr 1, 2000
    Since your Tivo has USB ports it appears that you have a series two box.

Go to Tivo's web site and do a little research, you will find all the answers you are looking for concerning video extraction and burning to DVD. The product you should be looking for is Tivotogo.