Questions about Closed Captions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio Silva, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    Can anyone explain me exactly how Close Captions work? Although my English is pretty good, sometimes i find it hard to understand some of the dialogs without subtitles, especially in noisier scenes.
    I've read that Closed Captions are included in almost every dvd. Is this correct?
    To display them, you must have a television that can decode them? Correct?
    I'll give you an example: I bought the Sopranos Season 1 box-set which doesn't include subtitles. But i've read here on the HTF that it includes Closed Captions. So, in order to display them, i'll have to buy a television which can display them. Is this correct?
    This issue also applies to the soon to be released Twin Peaks box-set, which i suspect won't include subtitles.
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards, António

2. DanL

DanL Stunt Coordinator

Your DVD player has to be setup to automatically decode captions, which is differently from subtitles (which can be changed on the fly with a button). I'd say look in the manual of your player and see how you switch on captions, which differs from player to player.

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've never seen a DVD player that will do that but most newer TVs will decode CC.