What's new

Questions about cars? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I was driving down the NJ Turnpike this weekend and started thinking this - If the highest speed limit is 65mph, why do they make cars that can go 140mph(in my case)?

Also, who uses Cruise Control? I used it this weekend for the first time in years and was wondering if many people used it or not.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Fast is fun, just because the speed "limit" is artifically set by stupid government people doesn't mean we all want to drive that slow :)
On the cruise control issue, I use it on long trips, rarely otherwise (we live near Dallas so traffic is usually not kind to cruise control...)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Then of course you could always argue what if you moved to Germany and drove on the Autobahn which has no speed limit? You want a car that is "compatible with the world." :D
That and the police make much money from speeding tickets.

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
I use cruise control when I am driving from Southern California to Northern California on I-5. It is a long, straight, flat drive with lots of CHP officers, so it is easy to lose track of how fast you are going!

TimDoss

Second Unit
Well you may need to accelerate past the posted limit to

safely pass someone, or to avoid an accident, so you need

to have some headroom above the speed limit.... also, if

you design an engine/car that is capable of driving at

higher speeds then it could be reasoned that it might be

more reliable when driven at lower speeds... that is, you're

not driving it at it's limits..... then again it may just be

the marketing, if all cars topped out at 65 mph, why would

we need Vipers or Corvettes? We could all putt along happily

in our Yugos.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cruise control is a wonderful convenience for long trips. I use it whenever we travel to northern Michigan to visit my parents or on long road trips (we took a 3,800 mile trip last summer).
The speed limit is 70mph on Michigan freeways (and it's really more of a suggestion ;) ), and there are sections of freeway in Montana with no posted limit.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, most cars are already electronics limited to around 128mph or so (unless chipped). Just because the speed limit is XX, doesn't mean there is no justification of going faster in cases of medical emergencies or whatnot.
As far as cruise control, have no idea if the CC in my car even works as I haven't used it. I time I do drive, is mostly commuting so CC has no use there and when I do actually drive in non-rush hour traffic conditions, I like to let my hair out..so to speak. :)
Jay

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I have an SUV that tops out at 143MPH, flame away.

Thinking about taking it to the track. Autocross would be a blast.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about taking it to the track. Autocross would be a blast.
If massive body roll, slow lap times, and lots of sliding are your thing, then yeah, it's a blast.

The highest speed limit is 75mph, not 65. In FL, on I95 or I75, EVERYONE runs at 75-85mph (speed limit is 70 on both). I enjoy having a vehicle that has the power to accelerate quickly, and yet still get good mileage (TL-S, 260hp, 30mpg on highway).

I also use cruise control on trips, on long stretches of lightly traveled roads. It seriously helps with foot cramps on that 14 hour run from Orlando to Cumberland, MD.

The speed limits are in place for those that can't control their vehicles at speed, or would otherwise use poor judgement in setting their own limit (that's my take on it, anyway). I'm not one that has trouble with either, but I understand why limits are necessary.

Todd

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
If massive body roll, slow lap times, and lots of sliding are your thing, then yeah, it's a blast.
Body roll is actually less than what you'd find in an Acura TL-S (driven both). It puts many so called "sports sedans" to shame when it comes to handling and acceleration.

Here in Seattle, it's often necessary to go about 75 just to keep up with traffic (in a 60 zone). Going any slower is dangerous. My commute is about 35 miles each way, mostly freeway. I use cruise control all the time. I've only had my SUV up to about 95 mph, but if (when) I ever take it to a track it is nice to know I can be competitive.

Then, like Scott L said, there is the Autobahn. Car manufacturers make their cars with the whole world in mind, not just the US. If they limited the top speed to 85, then they would lose business in Europe where common speeds often break 100mph.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I guess it would be kinda funny, wouldn't it.
I mean, it's not everyday you see an SUV do 0-60 in 6.7 seconds, or the quarter mile in 15.1. Most SUVs don't have skidpad numbers of .83g, do they? :)

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
It's kinda like having a 200wpc Amp that you can't listen to wide open without hearing loss...
Sure sounds good down low, though :)
~Crowe~

Jin E

Second Unit
Try driving 285 around Atlanta, where you have to go 85 to keep p with traffic and you still get passed like you were tied to a tree.

I commute 38 miles each way on a empty interstate between Alabama and Georgia. I use my cruise control every day.

BTW... I've hit an indicated 160 (which was about 145mph) on my motorcycle. I got to work in 27 minutes that day.

-Jin

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Body roll is actually less than what you'd find in an Acura TL-S (driven both). It puts many so called "sports sedans" to shame when it comes to handling and acceleration.
Your perception must be different than mine. Owning the TL-S, and riding in the Beemer, I'd have to disagree. And I'm solidly in the mid-14s at the track.

But, it is a nice SUV, if that's your thing. Got the 4.4?

I've been to several Autocross events here as an observer (even though they always beg me to run my old Z28), and the winner's circle is always dominated by Miatas, Neons, and M3s. There's a pretty good rivalry between two locals- one with a Miata, the other, an M3. Fun to watch. But the track is too small and tight for the big engine cars to be competitive (even the Z06 and Viper-GTS get embarrassed by the M3 on the small track). Maybe someday I'll slide my 375hp brick around the track.:b

Todd

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Yes, I have the 4.4i. The sport package makes a huge difference in handling. Mid 14s is very impressive - faster than a CL-S. What type of modifications have you added?

You're right about most autocrosses - they're too short to give higher HP cars the advantage. Occasionally around here, some group will get a shopping mall size lot where speeds can get pretty high. The miatas and neons lose some of their advantage then. There is a specific road race track near here that I've been wanting to take a crack at. Speeds would be much higher, and better suited for my rig.

E

Eric Kahn

Speed and HP sell cars which is funny because we actually use torque to drive in everyday situations and almost no one mentions torque figures

the reason lots of high performance cars are using variable valve trains (like honda's Vtec) is that otherwise they have a choice of designing the engine to produce low end torque for a good daily driver or high end HP for a performance car that can be frustrating to drive on a daily basis unless you like winding out your engine.

this is a big factor on small engines, onceyou get to large V 6's and V 8's this issue almost disappears and forced induction can really change everything

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I use cruise control for my 26-mile (one way) commute to work when there is no traffic. I had always heard that it helps with gas mileage because you don't speed up and slow down as you would if your foot was influencing the engine.

MichaelG

Second Unit
I have used cruise control for long trips (>1000 miles), but generally I don't use it. As far as speed,I am glad that my car can cruise at speeds over 100mph without any problem. Driving from Houston->San Francisco, San Francisco->Michigan, Michigan->Houston speeding was the only way. The fastest I went was about 135, and driving through the desert in Utah on straight flat roads going 100 isn't a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks