Questions about Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Simon, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Kevin Simon

Kevin Simon Extra

OK. This is a two-part speaker config question. Let me start by saying that the present system, calibrated merely by using the speaker-distance settings on my ONKYO Receiver (made same distance settings on the SONY DVD) and by my own ears in listening to a few DVDs, sounds great. Sometimes I need to play with the Subwofer, depending on the movie I am playing, but overall it sounds great.

So, I borrowed the AVIA disk to do a video calibration and thought I would do the sound too. I event went to Radio Shack (ugh!) and bought the recommended Sound Level Meter.

Now, I am having a few problems and I need your advice.

(1) The AVIA Disk reccomends using the 70 setting on the meter, and trying to get a 75db on all speakers. If I were to do that it would be way to loud for our condo. A reading in the mid 60's is what gives a quite enjoyably loud sound.

Is this satisfactory?

(2) This is very odd. When I play the sound test from the ONKYO, the hissing sound passes from speaker to speaker as expected. When I play it using the Audio Seup from the AVIA CD, both the L-Surround and R-Surround produce sound from both Surround Spekaers. I thought it may just be some kind of spacial effect, but indeed, I got right up to the speaker and it is coming from both.

What could be wrong in regards to the Surrounds...The ONKYO is set to ProLogic when I am playing the Avia CD if this helps.

Kevin

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    1 - YES. As long as all the speakers are calibrated to the same level, you will be fine. I calibrated mine to 75dB and my sub to 80dB, but I normally do not watch anything above 60-65dB normal volume. Even at that, some peaks will rise close to 90dB. (At ref. 75, I have peaks well over 100dB.)

2 - I am not familiar with AVIA, so I might be guessing here... (I use Video Essentials)

The reason sound comes from both surrounds at the same time when playing the AVIA DVD is that in Prologic mode, the surrounds are a matrixed channel, meaning the sound will come from both surround speakers at the same time. Try selecting a different audio option on your receiver (Dolby Digital instead of Prologic) and check the DVD player's output mode to make sure you are sending a 5.1 channel signal and not a 2-channel.

Also, how is your DVD player connected to the Onkyo for audio? Are you using an optical cable, digital coax, or 6-channel analog inputs?

(Edited for typos)

3. Kevin Simon

Kevin Simon Extra

I am using an optical cable from DVD to the Onkyo. But Alas, I figured out my problem! I still had the DVD set to DTS output. Once I set it back to Dolby Digital, all worked fine. I set all speakers to the same db output, like you calibrated to 75 but will watch at 60-65, and it sounds even better. I was surprised at how much things were off, actually. I had to set my center down several dbs, as the right front and left surround.

Its amazing having a calibrated TV and Audio, just amazing! Thanks Clinton and everyone else who have answered my vaious questions from various other threads.

Now, If I could just get that annoying low buzz to away in my WEGA all would be puuurfect.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Kevin - Good to hear you got the problem sorted out. I'm sure you'll spend many hours using your HT. [​IMG]