1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about Cal Audio Labs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Vaughan, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

Hello all. I've been lurking on the site for a couple of years and have gotten an incredible amount of help in putting together my system. Thank you all!
    I recently purchased a Perpetual Technologies P1-A only to realize that my current CD changer only had a Toslink digital out. Having recently received a postcard from Sound by Singer touting their big sale, I decided to go down and pick up a quality CD changer (the Yamaha I have doesn't really fit into the system anymore). After hunting around the store with one of the salespeople for about a half hour he finally found a California Audio Labs CLD-10 changer-transport. I was familiar with the CL-10, but had not realized that they made a transport-only changer. Does anyone have any information on this transport and how it may differ from the CL-10 (other than not having DACs). I tried hunting down information on the CAL site to no avail. I did find one posting about this particular transport on Audioasylum, but the poster only mentioned that there were only 50 or so made and they were hard to track down on the used market. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, the display on the CLD-10 was busted so Singer is sending it in to CAL to be repaired(with no extra cost to me). Does anyone know how long CAL takes to make such a repair. I'm desperate to try out the new CAL/P1-A combo.
    Thanks, Brian
    ------------------
    B&K ref 30 pre/pro
    B&K ref 7250 amp
    B&W N804 mains
    B&W HTM2 center
    B&W SCM surrounds (soon!)
    CAL CLD-10
    Toshiba SD-6200
    Toshiba DST-3000
    Perpetual Technologies P1-A
    Monster HTS 3500

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, welcome to the Forum. Both the Cal Audio CL-10 and CL-10D were discontinued awhile ago. I haven't listened to either one firsthand to be able to comment on any differences, but both are very well regarded. If you are unable to get information here, check out the Digital Drive message on Audio Asylum:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/tv.pl?forum=digital
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Keith. Unfortunately Audioasylum's search engine isn't as polished as those of hometheaterforum and avsforum. So far, the only info I've been able to track down there (after sorting through 200 results) is that the CLD-10 was made in very limited numbers. But I haven't been able to find any differences between that and the CL-10. The price seems to be the same so I would expect there to be internal differences to make up for the lack (i.e. cost) of DACs.
    Anyone out there have one of these?
    Thanks, Brian
    ------------------
    B&K ref 30 pre/pro
    B&K ref 7250 amp
    B&W N804 mains
    B&W HTM2 center
    B&W SCM surrounds (soon!)
    CAL CLD-10
    Toshiba SD-6200
    Toshiba DST-3000
    Perpetual Technologies P1-A
    Monster HTS 3500

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, Brian. I know the transport is relatively rare. Carousel changer transports are uncommon in general.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime