Questions about building my own sub.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I own a car audio sub, an infinity perfect 12", dual 4ohm coils, so 8ohm or 2ohm driver. Should I look into building this into a home sub? Because if I can get a good amp for it and have one of the guys at my shop build it, it would be cheaper than buying a brand new sub.

Would this be a bad idea? I have a big room, would I be able to fill it ok with good clean sound with this?

2. John S

John S Producer

No way.. Car subs are terrible performers in the home environment.

For home theater, you will want a long throw 12" driver or larger. These days, a 15" is even more prefer-able.

Good luck. Subs are great Do it yourself projects though for sure.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Head over to the DIY section of HTF. Also look at some other DIY subwoofer sites. I recommend using alignment guidelines from the driver manufacturer. Stryke and Adire (for example) have suggested alignments (for sealed, vented, PR, etc.) for their drivers posted right on the website. This takes much of the guesswork out and will provide good results. Adire even posts plans for box subs for the Tempest for example.

Unless you have a decent set of shop tools and some wood-working and general handy-man experience under your belt, you may find DIY much harder than you might first suspect. People who are successful at DIY in retrospect often characterize their first few attempts as working prototypes at best, or even outright failures.