questionnaire for home theater owners (for academic paper)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Seth--L, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Dear Home Theater Owners:

I'm writing an academic paper on film exhibition locations (general thesis is that Movie Palaces, Drive-ins and Home Theaters are all pretty similar), and was wondering if anyone was willing to answer a few questions about their home theaters. If you'd be willing to take my brief questionnaire, you can just PM me your answers. Thanks. (I assure you that I do not work for a marketing firm, studio, or electronics company, or anything like that. If you'd like, I'll give you the email address of my Professor to confirm this)

1. What prompted you to buy a home theater? How long have you had one? How often do you make upgrades?

2. Please describe your home theater system. Pictures would be great.

3. Is your home theater a dedicated room in your home (what is your home -- apartment or house)? If not, does the audio/video equipment dominate the room it is in or blend in transparently?

4. Since owning a home theater, has your attendance at movie theaters declined? Why or why not?

5. Who do you primarily watch movies on your home theater with? Do you invite friends over to watch films with you.

6. If you have children, how do they factor into your home theater? For instance, are you and your spouse less likely to go to a movie theater alone since you can stay home, watch a movie, and not have to pay for a baby sitter (yeah that's a loaded question).

7. Since your home theater is in your home, do you find yourself multi-tasking while watching a movie. For instance, will you pause a movie one or two times to put clothes in a washer and dryer?

8. Do you consider a home theater to be a luxury item?

9. How much money have you spent on your Home Theater? (I respect the fact that most people do not want to reveal this. I only ask because there is no data on it. If you could provide some kind of vague estimate, like between $5k and $10k, that would be great).

10. Please describer yourself -- age, single/married, job, location (city/burbs/rural), size of family. (Again, please feel free to be vague if you wish).

Thanks,
    -Seth

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    PM sent.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I sent you a PM also.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

screw the pm's. [​IMG]

1. What prompted you to buy a home theater? How long have you had one? How often do you make upgrades?

i wanted to experience ht like i do in the theater. plus i enjoy consumer electronics, and keeping up with the latest trends in a/v. i've had a ht since my college days...so that would be around mid 80's. rarely. this is only my fourth real ht receiver in that timeframe.

tv: mits ws-65313
    receiver: yamaha htr-5790
    directv/tivo: hughes hdvr2
    dvd: pioneer dv-563a
    cd: onkyo dx-c340
    md: sony mds-101
    music server: hp de200c
    speakers: polk rt7, polk cs275, klipsch ksw-10, klipsch ss-3
    cables: mostly monster brand

3. Is your home theater a dedicated room in your home (what is your home -- apartment or house)? If not, does the audio/video equipment dominate the room it is in or blend in transparently?

no, it's part of my living room. the a/v gear sticks out like a sore thumb.

4. Since owning a home theater, has your attendance at movie theaters declined? Why or why not?

not really. i still enjoy going to the movies for the "collective" experience: better sound, bigger picture, social aspects, first-run engagements, etc.

5. Who do you primarily watch movies on your home theater with? Do you invite friends over to watch films with you.

i mostly watch with my family. i rarely invite other people over.

6. If you have children, how do they factor into your home theater? For instance, are you and your spouse less likely to go to a movie theater alone since you can stay home, watch a movie, and not have to pay for a baby sitter (yeah that's a loaded question).

yes, having kids affects the movie-going experience. we have twin nine year olds, and they like buying popcorn, etc. so you can factor in another 30 bucks easily into the night's price. plus another 20 or so for a babysitter and it adds up quickly. but they do enjoy going to the movies, so we still do on occasion ... but certainly not as often as possible.

7. Since your home theater is in your home, do you find yourself multi-tasking while watching a movie. For instance, will you pause a movie one or two times to put clothes in a washer and dryer?

absolutely. as a matter of fact, i do your example on a routing basis. i often try to do several things while watching tv (laundy, bills, paperwork, etc). this is especially true ever since i got a tivo.

yes.

9. How much money have you spent on your Home Theater? (I respect the fact that most people do not want to reveal this. I only ask because there is no data on it. If you could provide some kind of vague estimate, like between $5k and $10k, that would be great).

hmmm...a very rough guess (ever since i started) would be about 15k. that doesn't include any media (i don't want to think about that [​IMG] )

10. Please describer yourself -- age, single/married, job, location (city/burbs/rural), size of family. (Again, please feel free to be vague if you wish).

skinny asian. mid 30's. married with two kids. works as a software admin for a major printer/pc manufacturing company. representin' the 916 in sac-town, usa. three cats named hoku, nani and kea (yes, my wife is into the hawaiin culture). shoe size is 11.5. if you want to know my girth you'll have to buy me dinner first.

5. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    1. What prompted you to buy a home theater?

Love of movies

How long have you had one?

Since 1981 - which was basically putting a Y splitter on a mono output vcr and sending it to my stereo receiver. Sounded better than the 4 inch TV speaker.

How often do you make upgrades?

Every few years

36" XBR800

B&K AVR700 7.1
    B&K Phono stage
    B&K AC-3 converter

Rega P3 turntable
    Sony Super Beta HiFi (yep, you read that right)
    Sony ES9000 SACD/DVD player
    Pioneer DL910 (I think) LD player
    Xbox

Two Infinity overture towers
    Two Infinity Kappa towers in rear
    Two Infintiy compositions for side
    One Inifity overture center

MK MX100 sub woofer

3. Is your home theater a dedicated room in your home (what is your home -- apartment or house)?

yes... in a house

4. Since owning a home theater, has your attendance at movie theaters declined? Yes, because I invested good money for a theater experience.

5. Who do you primarily watch movies on your home theater with? My wife.

Do you invite friends over to watch films with you.

Sometimes.

No kids.

Sometimes and only on movies I've watched before, otherwise I want an uninterrupted experience.

Yes

About 15 grand total

Over 40, married with no kids, living in South Florida, kinda rural/burbs.

6. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

1) Im a film nut and I wanted to experience films as close to the theatre as possible. Ive made a few upgrades since Summer 01. Before then I used my VCR/DVD(LD prior) on a basic 27in TV.

2) Cant remeber model names/codes as Im at work
    Panny 16x9 47in monitor/TV
    Yamaha DTS/DD reciever
    Pioneer DVD/SACD?DVD-A player
    Sony Turntable
    Yamaha speakers
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Cables and wires are Monster and Audioquest

3) I live in an Apt so its blended into the living room.

4) Yes. Its too expensive and I hate most theatre-goers. Unless its a high-profile release I really want to see; I ususally wait till DVD and Netflix it.

5) Most of the time myself but I have a buddy who comes over alot and we will throw a flick on.

6) No kids but I have a pet bunny. [​IMG]

7) No. i watch my movie or Tv show and will do chores another time. The only time I will stop the program is to smoke or use the bathroom, snack etc.

8) Yes.

9) 6k est.

10) 31, single, live alone with pet bunny in suburb of Sacramento, CA, work for an insurance co and do volunteer work for the local animal shelter. I have both parents and a sister who live in the area as well.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You Ho.

--
    H

8. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo

Seeing a co-workers' crt front projection setup in the early 1990's. I have had one form or other of a home theater since 1996. I upgrade components usually one at a time when technological/format upgrades happen.

Video: Sanyo Z2 front projector with 119'' Da-Lite High Power screen
    Audio: Sony STR-DE850 receiver
    DVD: Pioneer 563A
    HD STB: Samsung SIRT-165
    Spkrs: JBL Northridge Series

Living Room arrangement. Fairly stealth to blend in.

Yes. Presentation quality and movie theater prices have made home cinema more desirable except for blockbuster type of movies.

Family. Friends are occasionally invited for movie nights.

Yes, yes, yes.

Not usually. Only potty and snack breaks.

Yes.

Current setup probably $3,500 not including media and other TVs in the house.

40, Married, comp programmer, 2 children 4 and 6 yrs old, pseudo urban area dweller [​IMG]

9. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

-The desire for a more theater-like experience in the home. Had one for about 3 years. Very rarely make upgrades, as we are satisfied with the current setup.

Video: RCA 52" 4:3 RPTV
    Audio: 6.1: Two Technics 200W towers.
    Two Merak center channels
    Two Merak Rear speakers.
    DVD: Hitachi DVD Player (forget the model)
    Reciever: Panasonic SAHE100

Large room in the basement. Open area, with section dedicated to home theater on one side, and computers on the other.

Somewhat, but only because of hightened school demands.

Friends, family, and pretty much anyone who's willing to join me.

N/A

Mainly only to get food or a drink.

No, because even a simple 2.1 setup and a smaller tv can constitute a home theater. All depends on perception.

Approximately $4-$5000

17, Single, Unemployed (my parents have bought most of the equipment), Suburbs, 4 in the family (mother, father, 2 sons).

Good luck with the paper.

10. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Ted,

I DO want to know your girth. Let me know when you're in Philadelphia next so we can setup dinner arrangements. [​IMG]

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

[​IMG]

see holadem ... who is the *real* ho now?

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Heisenberg's principle: if you observe something to know it precisely, you're changing it.

Cees

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

1. My brother purchased an Aiwa 5.1 system back in '98 or '99 along with a DVD player. I purchased my first surround-sound system in 2000 ( a Kenwood HTiB). I make a hardware upgrade every six months or so... software upgrades monthly.

2.My HT system is also my primary TV watching system and music system. It consists of Paradigm Atom bookshelf front speakers, Paradigm CC-170 center channel, Kenwood surround speakers (left over form the HTiB), an SVS subwoofer, a Pioneer surround sound receiver, a Sony 300 disk CD changer, a JVC DVD player, a Dish-Network satellite receiver, a Sony plasystation 2 game system, and a 27" JVC television. Everything fits nicely in and around a generic "entertainment center" I purchased in 2000.

3. My Home theater room is my living room of my apartment. The system dominates one wall space-wise (Artistically the room is overpowered by the cosmos-blue walls and 6' x4' Kurt Kobain painting). The surround speakers are on stands to either side of the couch, and do not interfer with any traffic, and the subwoofer rests in a corner adjacent to a loveseat. The subwoofer matches the material o the loveseat, and many people do not even see it on first glance. The only sacrifice to functionality is that the speaker wire to a surround speaker runs directly across a hallway, and poses a slight tripping hazard.

4.Since I've owned a HT my attendence of the local theater had decreased. Now I only go "to the movies" for epic "event" films, such as a new Harry Potter or Star Wars film. I like to stay home because my surround sound system is far superior to the cinema (which is stereo with no subwoofers). The only drawback is screen size... which I plan to replace my 27" with a front projector anyway.

5. My non-traditional family will usually watch films with me. Friends do not usually come-over to watch films... as most of them have their own HTs.

6. My child is 16 and so-far has not made any difference in my cinema attending. I just have to adjust my movie watching schedule to watch films that my family wouldn't enjoy (such as foriegn films) when they are not around.

7. No. Running the dishwasher, laundry machines is far too noisy in my apartment, and draws me out of the film. At most I will pause the film to answer the phone.

8. Yes.

9. Hardware...about $3000 including all the DVD players, and the 2 receivers I've worn-out throught the last few years. Satellite TV is $55/month, and i rent about $10 in movies a month. I own roughly $2500 in DVDs.

10.25, single but co-habitating, medical transportation, carthage NY (Pop. @ 5000). I also live with a teenage foster child. I am an aquarius and enjoy music, chinese food, and tattoos/body piercing

14. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Married with two kids. Burbs of the metro, total metro ~2.3M or so depends on who you ask.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

chris, you got one of these? okay, you must post your observations on this one. i had the older 931 (w/faroudja chip), but sold it in anticipation of this one.

oh yeah, where did you get it from?

16. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Ha! I PMed Chris about this too.

17. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Thanks for all the feedback.

-Seth

18. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al

It's been a few years since Physics 237, but I think you have it wrong. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle says that if you know precisely one value of a pair, you can't know the other - your aren't changing it, you just can't measure it.

Love movies, wanted crisper wide-screen format; and letterboxed on a standard TV wasn't cutting it. But I’m content with only “good” quality. Getting all the fancy gear is not necessary for my tastes.

47 RPTV, Low-end “brand” reciever, DVD player, and speakers.

Single home. HT is in the family room, along with the kids stuff. Doesn’t dominate, but does distract from the other purposes of the room; kind of cuts the room in half.

Only slightly. I still go to all the good movies I would normally see. In few cases where there are only average or below movies playing, I’ll see a film at home instead. What is mostly means is I see more movies. And now I'll see some concert programs that I previously would have passsed on.

Self: 30
    Wife & kids: 30
    Wife: 15
    Kids: 20
    Others: 5

That was true when the kids were of baby sitting age. Now thet can stay home alone, so there is no difference. We do tend to watch movies that we can all see.

Almost never. People get shot for that!

Yes, but it’s the one I would get before all other discretionary items.

Hardware- DHTV: 1400, Components less speakers: 700, Speakers: 600
    DVDs: 2000

19. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I got into home theater cause I love movies. I have been building my hometheater for about 3 years. I make upgrades when budget allows and I find a good deal, probably every 3-4 months on average. Once I add two more speakers my upgrading should be about done.

Take a look http://www.moesrealm.com/hometheater.html

My home theater is in the attic which is a very big space, the other part of the room is my bedroom. Each part is about 50%

No, I love going to the theaters and I don't like waiting to rent movies that I want to see.

Usually by myself. Friends on weekends.

No kids.

Rarely. When I sit down to watch a movie, I do just that.

Yeah, I guess.

hmmmmmm, probably between 10-12k

30, single, file clerk at a law firm, city.