What's new

Question (1 Viewer)

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
I do still want a Blu-Ray player though although I am most likely getting a HDTV for my birthday or chirstmas next year so I decided to keep the DVD player...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
On a 19" interlaced CRT TV with at best a S-video input, the improvement would be virtually undetectable no matter what the viewing angle is. He'd be better off using the money spent on the player to buy a better display.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In 12 months he'll most likely be able to select from a number of players that are less expensive (and probably a better value for the consumer) than the 2nd generation A2. It makes little sense to buy the A2 now unless a HDTV purchase is imminent.

unotis

Grip
Real Name
Kelly J. Wilson

I just find it hard to believe that he has gotten a new HD-A2 DVD player but only has a 19" CRT to watch it on.

Then he states he really wants a Blu-Ray and he'll just sell the HD DVD player in 5 years when he gets a HD Televison to watch or next Christmas when he gets one then.

This has to be a spoof,... debt or no debt, $500 for the DVD player is a pretty good chunk of cash to have just sitting around when you know you can't enjoy it's benefits.:eek:

John-M

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I will sell the HD-DVD player when there is a improved model or whatever...I don't care if you don't believe me, that is your loss

RyanJM

Grip
I think people believe this to be a spoof because it's a pretty ridiculous situation. An HD-DVD player is $500 and meant for people who have HD TVs and related equipment. It's kind of like buying a $2,000 computer for playing games and then using a 12" monitor...stupid. I mean, I can understand being new, but common sense says that you don't buy a $500 HD-dvd player for a $100 19" tv. Spend it on a TV first and get the player later on when it's cheaper and the format wars have settled down.

Also, google and other related search features are useful for beginner level questions.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmmm.
I totally disagree with most of the posters.

Apparently (as I understand it) John got a HD-A2 from Santa.
A wise choice of Santa, for that's a good start for a future HR-collection: now he can start buying both, SD releases and HD DVD, and be able to play 'em all. At Amazon, most HD DVD (and BD) discs are 10% off for a whole year once you bought 3 (of any) at the same time. (Personally, I pay much less this way for several of my double-dips HDs than I payed for the original SD version, which is true even if I wouldn't have had the 10% off.)

John only has a 19" TV at the moment. So he will be replacing that one (or buy a hi-res PC monitor!) somewhere in the very near future. Excellent. He will love the picture!

If he would sell this gift, he could indeed buy a slightly better HD TV-set for the money - but then he wouldn't have any means of playing HD discs. (And whether or not he is also - or more, or less - interested in HD broadcasts is to himself to judge.) So his situation would be almost the same as it is now - except he wouldn't be starting building his HD library.

Now, John, why you don't see much difference between HD discs and SD discs is rather simple: the HD-A2 upgrades the SDVD to HR. In fact it's one of the best SD-upgrading machines in the market (as was the HD-A1), and thus worth its money for that reason alone. For your 480i 19" TV both pictures are downgraded again, so unfortunately they will not be very different.

I bet, if you compared the HD movie on a HD-A2 with an SD movie played on an SD player there would be a (tiny) visible difference even on your TV, when you're sitting close enough.
And in the future that difference will be HUGE!

The Toshiba HD player is a gem. Enjoy your new machine, replace that 19" screen as soon as you're able to (or perhaps you will receive a nice present again some other time ;) ).

Cees

RyanJM

Grip
I understand that Cees advice is most likable because it just says "GJ you're fine", but it makes little sense I think.
1) Buying a new HD TV with with $500 spent on the currently useless hd-dvd player will allow you to have a larger TV with a better picture regardless if you have an hdtv source for it. That's something useful right away. Plus, an Antenna will allow you to get over-the-air hdtv right away if that's possible for you.

2) There is a format war with HD-dvd and bluray. If hd-dvd loses, you're left with a semi-useless player that will not play new releases because nothing new will be released for it. That's a big risk.

So, again, your choice, but it makes almost zero sense to keep an hd-dvd player when there is a 99% chance they will be much much cheaper by the time you can use it, meanwhile hdtv's are somewhat cheap now and you can use it immediately, if only for a standard def large tv.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Ryan: You hit all the correct points. To be honest, any answer other than selling the machine and paying down debt or buying an HD set is not the best from a depreciation stand point. Cees you do a terrific job here at HTF, but I think you are giving John poor advice. Santa was very generous in buying the player, but under John's current situation it is not the best use of his HT funds. I really can't say it any better than Ryan did. He nailed the most logical explaination/advice perfectly.

John, you mentioned someone buying you an HDTV as a gift down the road....anyone disagree that if you were to buy an HD-dvd player at that time instead...the A2 would be cheaper at that time or the next generation at that time would be at worst the same price with better features/peformance or cheaper than the current crop. Maybe (doubtful) the format war would be decided next christmas...and the purchase would be at zero risk. Buying into the format war now has risk. Buying an HDTV now has no risk in comparison. For someone who is short on funds, why would you buy the item that has more risk and higher depreciation?

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
I gave it more thought and I decided to take it back and get the refund and use the refund to pay off my debt and when I finish paying all of my debt, I will buy the latest HD-DVD hardware which it will probably be in 3 years

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

You know my opinion... :)
But the choice is yours, of course!

BTW, did you already have a SDVD-player? Because, unlike the BD-players, the Toshiba could play SDVD too, so you may need one now. Or will you delay your DVD purchases altogether?

Cees

John-M

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I have a SDDVD player, I am going to delay buying DVD movies/TV shows until I pay off my debt which is probably be in 2 to 3 years

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks