What's new

QUESTION: Yamaha RX-V681 on/off control problem (1 Viewer)

tata91

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I have a RX-V681. It is the "center" of my system, with a Directv, blueray, and roku devices connected. One HDMI connection to an M70 series 70 inch Vizio TV. Problem I am having (again) is the following. We watch 90% directv. So, we use the DirecTV remote (latest gen directv gear (Genie and DVR receiver setup - all wired). THe remote turns on the TV the DirecTV receiver, TV and has always turned on the V681 (delayed by about 2 or 3 seconds). Same for pushing off on directv remote. DirecTV genie turns off, TV off, and V681 off.

All of a sudden a week or so ago, the V681 will not power on (or off) with a directv remote power on/off. This happened once before, went through all of the setup menus of all devices (HDMI control) and saw nothing of interest. No settings were changed this time around I am sure. Last time, I ended up doing a factory reset on the V681 and it started working again. I really don't want to have to go through this again..... Any ideas or anyone sean this before?

Other notes:

I have not set up dtv remote to control the V681. The HDMI cabling for TV to/from the Receiver OR dtv to/from Receiver should be controlling the signalling to turn on/off the receiver. Not sure which one -- guess this is a question too.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I would disconnect HDMI from Yamaha to TV and then unplug both from outlet for at least 15 seconds. Plug HDMI cable back in and then power to both devices. Sounds like it could be a CEC hand shake issue.

tata91

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the reply. Tried disconnecting HDMI cable, removing power from both devices (hard remove of power from wall). Couple of minutes later, reconnected cable between TV and Yamaha and powered everything back on. No change.

I am going to try same process, but with a with a new HDMI cable.

tata91

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
UPDATE 4/6/2018:

After troubleshooting more, basically remove/replace HDMI cable between receiver/TV, remove/replace power on both receiver and TV -- no change. Replaced original HDMI cable.

Fix: Factory reset Vizio TV, re-setup as per installation. All devices now work as expected from a power on/off perspective. One change I saw (and will look at more frequently) is in the Vizio app, settings, CEC. On that menu item, you will see all devices that are CEC (my RX receiver, Roku, and BlueRay player). Before they were not listed.

Maybe this will help someone....

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
UPDATE 4/6/2018:

After troubleshooting more, basically remove/replace HDMI cable between receiver/TV, remove/replace power on both receiver and TV -- no change. Replaced original HDMI cable.

Fix: Factory reset Vizio TV, re-setup as per installation. All devices now work as expected from a power on/off perspective. One change I saw (and will look at more frequently) is in the Vizio app, settings, CEC. On that menu item, you will see all devices that are CEC (my RX receiver, Roku, and BlueRay player). Before they were not listed.

Maybe this will help someone....
Right. CEC is an HDMI function that allows some basic control of compatible devices over HDMI. I can be evry useful.

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Great job Tata91. Personally I'm not a fan of CEC and disable it on everything. Half the time when TVs do updates they mess up CEC and you have to reset things. I'm also no fan of ARC and disable it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeyT66
Recent bookmarks