What's new

Question with HTIB. please help, need answer quick! (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well tomorrow me and my uncle are off to go find him a little HTIB for his family room. Now simply it doesn't need to be much as he is just looking for something on the OK side. He already has a DVD player and such and when he gets his home theater set up in the basement he will spend alot of money on some good speakers but as for now he just wants something so he can have "surround sound" in the room.

I was thinking of this Yamaha system for $299 from Bestbuy. He also has a $50 gift certificate so that would lower it to $250.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03010

If anyone could recommend anything else please do, but I was thinking Yamaha was one of the better ones around this price range. Thank you.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
For $299 that Yamaha setup is the best bang for the buck imho. He could upgrade the speakers to some relatively efficient bookshelf units (Think Klipsch) and get a bigger sub when he moves to the basement and still be able to use the receiver.

If the budget can stretch to $500 or so a much better choice would be the Onkyo 6.1 setup from Circuit City. This comes with real bookshelf speakers and sub much better than the $299 Yamaha, as well as a better receiver.
The model number is ONK HTS-760. I think this setup would be a better value as upgrading would not be nearly as necessary.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
How about the Onkyo 6 channel HTIB for $500. Has DTS ES and DD EX compatibility. Receiver, 6 speakers, plus sub. Just add dvd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.