Question: Wiring Amp to Receiver

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chad Viro, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Chad Viro

Chad Viro Stunt Coordinator

Hello All!
    I have a quick question that I am hoping someone could answer. I want to wire a 100watt amp to my receiver...the amp is going to be used to power 3 bass shakers.

Currently, I do not have a sub but I will probably get one relatively sooon (within the month). Exactly what type of cable do I need to wire up my amp to my receiver? Any certain type of cable? Also, where do I connect it to on the receiver?

Thanks, take care!!!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Chad.

Here is the concept:

- Go buy some CATV coax and 2 "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors from Radio Shack. Buy enough coax to run from behind your receiver to behind your couch where you are going to put your amp.

- Use the adaptors to put RCA plugs on both ends of the coax. This gives you a long subwoofer cable.

- Plug 1 end of the long cable to the LFE/Subwoofer output on your reciever. Plug the other end into one of the RCA inputs on your amp.

- Use the speaker terminals on the amp to wire the bass-shakers.

With only 3 shakers I suggest you wire like this:

1 wire from the red speaker terminal on the amp to the red wire on the first shaker.

The black wire from the first shaker to the red wire of the 2nd shaker.

The black wire from the 2nd shaker to the red wire of the 3rd shaker.

The black wire from the 3rd shaker back to the black speaker terminal on the amp.

This is called a "Series" connection. The signal flows from the amp into each shaker, out to the next, and so on. This is a 'safe' connection because all 3 shakers will look like a single, 12 ohm speaker to the amp.

When you get your subwoofer:

- Go to Radio Shack and buy a RCA "Y" adaptor (one male, 2 female). Plug this into the LFE/Subwoofer jack on your reciever and use the 2 outputs to connect the bass-shakers and the external subwoofer.

Good Luck.

3. Chad Viro

Bob, simply excellent!! Your post provided me with the answers I need to my current questions (and future questions). Thanks again!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Glad to help.

(and in case you are wondering at the detail; I've done just this for my own system [​IMG] )

5. Chad Viro

Hey Bob!
    I have another simple question I am hoping you can help me with. I am assuming I can plug the coax cable in either the Left or Right RCA jack on the AMP, correct?

Also, my shakers didnt come with +/- terminals; instead, I had to twist the wire ends together and tape them up. I did a fairly good job, but was wondering if this will be alright.

6. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Oh, it's a 100W stereo amp you're using, is it? Yes, you could just use one channel and leave the other one idle; or you could split the singal from the receiver to both channels, and run one shaker off one channel, and the other two in series off the other. The series pair will each end up with a lower output level than the single one, but that shouldn't matter. If your amp has a balance control you could even it out with that.

Twisting and taping is very bad news. Get yourself a small soldering iron and either solder the wires directly or get some suitable connectors.

7. Chad Viro

Hello!
    Well, I have everything wired into series already. Will I get good results if I have all 3 shakers wired in series, hooked to just one channel? This is the Amp I have: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=124780&DID=7

[​IMG]

Twisting them up and wrapping them up VERY tightly with electric tape is bad, huh? [​IMG] horrible news [​IMG]

Can you recommend some connectors? Do you think twisting them is an 'ok' temporary solution?

EDIT: In reference to wiring splicing, I did some searching and found the following post very useful: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...497#post568580