What's new

Question: What is UMVD? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
But how did they obtain license to so many classic titles from WB & MGM library... are they an independant production company?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I believe they are Universal. When you buy a CD on Universal Records or one of their affiliated labels, the spine sticker at the top of the case says (in a bluish-green) "UMVD".

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
UMVD is a fairly new (insofar as the actual name is concerned) umbrella distribution entity within the Universal family handling physical distribution for both Universal Studios Home Entertainment (including a deal to handle Dreamworks Home Entertainment distribution) and Universal Music Group. (An interesting aside: by selling Vivendi Universal Entertainment--which included the movie studio and TV operations but not UMG--to NBC recently, NBC Universal was created. I'm pretty sure UMVD fell under Universal Studios in the corporate org chart. So to the extent that UMVD is still distribbing for UMG [and I'm fairly sure they are], they're doing so even though the latter is still owned by the French.)

I second Peter's inquiry about which titles you're referring to, Marco. Perhaps you're confused by the fact that, thanks to Ted Turner, Warner owns a significant chunk of the MGM library?

-p

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Paul, and yes the pre-48 and '68 title rights totally slipped my mind when posting this... woops!

Thanks for that information!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks