question - tosh 4700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tony lavely, Jun 28, 2002.

1. tony lavely

tony lavely Auditioning

I just bought a 4700 on sale. Took it home and hooked it up to my Panny 46 16x9 rptv. Watched fifth element superbit, looked great. progressive/interlace switch on remote didn't work. Watched Final Fantasy, switch worked, interlaced looked ever so much better. Even the spash screen when no disk was in player looked better in interlaced.

Used Video Essentials-- almost all settings were different fromwhat they had been.

Is this normal, or is there a problem with my 4700? Or the tv?

thanks for any help, tony.

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Hmmm... remote switch only works if physical switch on back is set to [p]rogressive.

But if remote switch worked on one movie but not another without switching the physical switch that's strange. Maybe the battery is iffy in the remote?

3. tony lavely

tony lavely Auditioning

The switch on the back is set to P for progressive. I was thining the DVD had a flag to prevent it being switchedm since it's a superbit title.

4. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Well I just tried Superbit Fifth Element on my 4700 and I could switch between interlaced and progressive with the remote.

I'd just try your experiment again... it should work.

5. tony lavely

tony lavely Auditioning

Ok, I'll put that one down topilot error. I must have tried the switch while having the back panel switch in Interlaced.
    But that's not the real problem. The settings between P and I on the Panny RPTV are wildly different, and since it locks into FULL when it gets a progressive signal (not my favorite way to watch Buffy[​IMG] ), I'd have to go thru the calibration process any time I want to watch 4x3 or non-anamorphic material. Or if I want to watch regular TV.
    Is the problem with the player, or the set?
    thanks again, tony.

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

The Toshiba 4700 has aspect ratio control. Set the player so that it window boxes all 4X3 content.

The differences between P and I is an issue with your set.

7. tony lavely

tony lavely Auditioning

Thanks, I'll play around with that, as you suggest.

On hte differences, I had come to the realization that that might be the issue, and am discussing with Mr. Bob, whom I met over on the display part of HTF.

Thanks again for the help. tony.

8. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Tony as Kwang says, just set 4:3 display to 4:3 in the setup menu. The only possible problem (a bug at least on the one I have) is the positioning of 4:3 DVD menu prompts/cursors are still displayed as if the content were stretched out in full. Not a major problem by any means, but still a bug. Don't let it freak you out if it happens. On mine the symptom is the highlighted text for the currently selected item displays 'offset' from the underlying text. This only happens on 4:3 DVD menu screens. No biggie.