What's new

question to those who have built proj. screen (1 Viewer)

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I am building my projector screen and am wondering about the "screen masking"...do most paint the edges in a non-reflective black or has anyone tried to use black felt. Any other ideas on non-reflective surfaces?

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I am interested in this as well. Shouldn't the masking system be able to change for different aspect ratio DVDs or are there different ways to account for that (like with a HTPC).

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Hi Chet. I'm sure more people will chime in with other ideas, but here's what I did.

I just thumbtacked a thick sheet to the wall for my screen, and then to get good crisp edges, I used velvet. I got the velvet, cut it into 4 masks, and had my sister and wife surge the edges so they were clean and straight. I used velcro to put up the masks. I was able to mask a 1.85 screen or a 2.35 screen, which worked out really well.

Matt

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all,

In answer to the question for handling different aspect ratios. I intend to build the frame to 16:9 and have 2 detachable panels I can hang either side of the frame to mask for 4:3.

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
well I think what most do is make the screen a bit bigger than the viewing are so they can have a black border going around the entire screen (I have seen it simply painted, or felt, or some door frame material) Then they make the detachable masks for aspect ratios. I personally covered long sheets of foam board with felt. You could also use duvenyne tape (I think thats how its spelled) pretty much anything that won't reflect the light. I do think its important to have that small boarder going all the way around the screen in addition to the masking panels. In my case I plan on a 92" diagonal screen but I plan on making it slightly larger than that to accomadate the black border all the way around. From what I hear it makes quite a difference as opposed to no border. Good luck.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have used a flat black paint on my MDF border which has worked well for me. A few others have used black velvet. As soon as I get the time, I will modify my screen with it because it is sure to mask better and be less reflective than flat black.

My screen is a 96" 16x9

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks