Question to the amp experts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yogi, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Last night while moving my amp (yet again) I forgot to turn off the main power on the amp (stupid me) and when I disconnected the interconnects from the preamp, I might have touched two interconnects and I heard a loud crackling noise from one of the surround channel speakers. I immediately turned the amp power off. But my question is could I have done any harm to the amp by contacting two of the interconnects (still attached to the amp). I still haven't hooked the amp back together but would like to get some expert opinions on this issues. Thanks in advance.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

No one? hmm. Well its time to go back home and hook up the amp and see if it works. My fingers are crossed[​IMG]

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

And now you learned to turn off your gear before plugging or unplugging anything. Just like we all do. [​IMG] (remember blowing a few output transistors on my amp...didn't unplug it)
    I doubt you did any damage - the cable could have been ungrounded and picking up any static eletricity?

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Usually, and I stress the word "usually", this will not be a problem with line-level connections. The currents carried are not large enough to cause damage. Speaker level, however, is something else...

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter