question to svs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Meissner, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

any chance you guys will be hooking up with any retail stores to sell your subs? I sure would like to demo these subs before i shell out 700 bucks. because i know they wont fit in the dog house once the wife gets the bill...lol

2. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Trouble is, if the distribution was through normal retail channels, you would be shelling out more like $1200 instead of $700.

3. Dean_M

Dean_M Second Unit

Joe, SVS has a 45 day satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like it, send it back. However, if your experience with the SVS is anything like mine, returning it won't be an issue.
    That being said, in all fairness, I should point out a potential downside to SVS ownership. My 20-39CS+ is driven by the left channel on an old Adcom amp that I had lying around. The right channel has grown bitter and resentful, and has begun to drink heavily and run with a bad crowd. Currently, there are no twelve step self-help groups to deal with this nightmarish problem, so I may have to resolve the issue by purchasing another CS+.
    In any event, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. [​IMG]
    Dean

4. Joe Meissner

i have posted before and it said first new post?

5. Joe Meissner

also i have never bought anything sight unseen before. so this will be a hard dicision to make. I know all the reviews are great but i would still like to check them out first. Thats just the way i am.

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Joe,

Why don't you ask around the forum to see if anyone that owns one lives near you? I feel the same as you, I really like to be able to hear and see the goods before I buy. Fortunately for me another forum member, Jeremy Hegna, was kind enough to have me over to his house for a demo. All I can say is wow! The SVS subs are awesome! I can't wait until I can get the darn WAF.

7. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Joe,

I was in the same position you are. I ended up trying the 20-39PC and couldn't be happier (unless I win one of the new subs in the contest!). I figured if I didn't like it, I could always send it back within 45 days. All I can say is that I bet SVS doesn't get many returns.

Dave

8. Jami Bradley

Jami Bradley Auditioning

Actually, I think they do get a few returns. Most of the ones I have heard, though, are upgrading within their 45-day window because they love them so much [​IMG]
    Jami

9. Leon O

Leon O Stunt Coordinator

I must admit - I returned my SVS after 3 weeks.

THE REASON: I kept wondering if the 20-39cs sounds this good with 60 watts (1 channel of Denon AVR-50), How good would a 16-46cs+ sound with 500 watts??

This weekend I'll be placing my order, and I might even get the dual setup.

Returning the SVS was as easy as sending an email, receiving response, and printing a pick-up slip. I drove mine back to the UPS terminal. I consider the price of return shipping to be a very inexpensive rental.

The SVS definately deserves a test run in YOUR home.

Have Fun

Leon

10. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

If I ever see a SVS in a retail store it will make me sick. There is no way you could get the price versus performance ratio in that situation. This is one of those times that you say "what the !@#$". Very few people are unhappy, very few, like 1/100. Most people that do have problems its with the subs height(I refuse to say size cause they actually do not take up much space). If you are not happy with their performance than you need to consider raising your price point, to something like the Velodyne HGS-18($2900 retail), a truely great sub.

11. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Joe,

It's not likely to happen soon (just SO much work to cover on brick and mortar relationships) but we rule nothing out. Certainly if it happens it's not going to help you now. Rest assured there is no problem with returning a sub. Shipping is so cheap with UPS ground that having one for 45 days (if you did return it) would amount to something like a $1/day or less.

With the PCi debut at $549 I hope there is a SVS you can hope to afford. Or if you have an old receiver/amp and a Dolby Digital receiver a $368 25-31CS might squeak by the budget process in the house?

If not then I'd look to the Hsu VTF-2 as your $400-500 choice and the Sony WM-40 as your $200 and under choice. You get more with each jump in price but the main thing is you find something that works.

"Risking" $700 on an SVS is the least risky thing I can think of in home theater, since the reality is you are only risking UPS costs to find out if the raves are deserved. We have never refused a return in 2 years and we're sure not going to start with you, no matter what the reason for the return (and yes, there have been a couple caused by the "man of the house"... the wife ;^) putting her foot down on the unopened SVS box!

Ron