1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question to RXV1 owners....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Aug 16, 2001.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Have had my new RXV1 for a couple of weeks and I have to say it is quite a bit better sounding than the previous model I owned, the Yam 2095. Well, here I am wondering how much better it really could be.....
    My question is.... how many of you are using external amps for driving mains and did it make a difference? I am using some old JBL L100 for mains that will handle about anything thrown at them. I am considering an Acurus A250 or 200x3. Will external amplification make my system much better for the dollars spent? I tried Marantz 500 mono-blocks but they didn't make that much difference if any at all. I am not worried that I will "outrun" my sub which is a SVS.
    Also, how long did it take to receive the free remote from the Yamaha incentive program?
    ------------------

2. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Donny,
    many feel that the higher power of most external amps will make a difference. However, there are quite a few factors in an amp that control the overall sound we hear; and that sound is the determining factor. If you like the tonality of the RX-V1, then some higher-powered amps may actually sound worse to you. The sound the RX-V1 produces is unique amoung receivers, and many (former) purists feel it is the best in the receiver field.
    As far as power goes, the RX-V1 is likely to be more than capable of driving your speakers, cleanly. Therefore, if the sound you hear is satisfying, relax and let yourself enjoy your receiver. Its 44-bit DSP stands in a class by itself. Yamaha is unmatched in the the realistic ambience produced by its DSPs. The effect that many other receivers can only reach for, the RX-V1 achieves with ease. So play around with them, and enjoy.
    Marty