Question to NetFlix users

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Aguila, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I've been using NetFlix since the first day they came online. Lately, I noticed that the titles "Released to ship" in my out queue (I'm on 6 movies at a time) seem to stay in that pending state for a couple of days. Now a couple of the ones "Released to ship" have been that way for at least three days!
    I was wondering if any of you are experiencing the same thing. It looks to me like they are trying to sit on the titles for as long as possible to minimize your turnover. At this rate I'm only averaging having two movies at a time, not six.
    Anyone?
    Tony Aguila

2. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Weird, my released to ship discs seem to go out with the next day's mail. I have noticed, however, an increase in the number of short and long wait titles. Having only been a member since June however, it is possible that I just happened to join during a lull. Try sending out an email, they get back to you and actually respond to the question you are asking.

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem. That's why I quit netflix and joined rentmydvd.com

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Tony, you're not alone. I've complained about that a few times and once they gave me a 10% off the next month's bill but usually they just put the title back in the queue. Their response was always to the effect that they thought they had it available but it 1) became unavailable or 2) was in unplayable condition after they released it to ship, so they keep it in there hoping to "secure another copy". I agree, it looks like they are trying to slow down the process of shipping the movies.

5. Dave Dugan

Dave Dugan Stunt Coordinator

So how does rentmydvd.com compare?
    Recommend making the switch?
    -Dave

6. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I have had the exact same problem, only over the last week or two. Weird, because I thought they were actually getting a lot faster at releasing movies in the Queue. It looks like they are going back to their old ways again! [​IMG]

7. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Strange that you should mention this. I've had "From the Earth to the Moon Disc 3" in 'released to ship' status since Saturday. Can't complain otherwise, but I can say this is the first time a delay of this length has happened to me.
    Pieter
    ------------------
    Witness my BoomRoom's brand new layout as of Sep 21.

8. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

If you want a just released "big name" title, then rentmydvd is better.
    However, I only watch about one of those per month, so the vast majority of my viewing is "back catalog" titles.
    Netflix is much better on those titles, and when you get into "genre titles" like HK films or other ethnic or specialized genres, rentmydvd has only a tiny fraction of what Netflix has.
    As far as the Netflix delays, I think that it may simply be that their membership level has outstripped their shipping capacity. Also, I think that in order to ship titles that are higher in the users' queue, they have to predict what titles will be returned and thus available, based on the average hold time of people who have those titles checked out. If those titles take longer to arrive back at Netflix, that delays shipping out the title, simply because they don't have one to ship. And, remember that since 9/11, mail transit times have increased, so items are taking longer to return to Netflix.

9. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    I can't remember exactly how long I was a member of Netflix, but it was around 12-18 months... and I finally gave up 2 months ago for this and other similar problems. After 2 price increases, I finally downgraded to 3 at a time, but rarely - if ever - had more than 1 disk in my house... their service went way downhill right about the same time their prices started to go uphill. Bad combo!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

11. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Has anything similar set up on the East Coast? One reason I quit NetFlix was that discs took a week or so to get to East Tennessee.
    Tony

12. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Tony- Rentmydvd currently ships from both California and New Jersey and supposedly plan to open a center in Atlanta sometime this fall. Once that opens, you should get very prompt service.
    Unfortunately, I have cancelled my membership due to the fact that up to 75% of my "wish list" has been "out of stock" for the past several months, and a few of the titles have been out of stock the entire time. I realize they can't control when a movie is returned, and it is difficult to predict how popular a title will be, but the out of stock situation has grown steadily worse over the 8 months I've been a member. My wish list is a combination of recent movies and catalog titles, as well as a combination of well-known movies and more obscure titles, so it is hard to believe that a large majority of the titles are perpetually out of stock. It's a shame, because their customer service has always been outstanding, and they always ship a replacement title the same day they receive the previous one. So I have absolutely no complaints about their customer service. But their inventory apparently needs to be increased significantly.
    Depending on your movie tastes, of course, your experience may be totally different. Good luck!
    Steve K.

13. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I just quit RentMyDVD. My wish list contained about eight items and all were out of stock and some had been that way for months. It got to where I was renting stuff I didn't really want or enjoy just to feel that I was getting my money's worth, which I wasn't because what I REALLY wanted to watch was out of stock.
    It was the same problem I had with NetFlix, which I quit in favor of RentMyDvd.
    The overall system has its appeal but at some point the bean counters take over and selection drops and then it doesn't work for me anymore.
    ------------------
    http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
    Jan Strnad
    author of Risen (now in Palm Reader format) and
    "The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

14. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I suppose I should just count my blessings... Being just a few miles from their location, my rentals usually arrive here the very next day after it ships. And I guess being the squeaky wheel can produce results, as two of my "Released to Ship" titles that had been sitting there for three days went out a couple of hours after I sent them an email complaining about the long wait.
    And the third one shipped out a day later. Nor did I expect a big-ticket item like Spy Kids to be available right away. Normally you'd have to wait a few weeks to see a title like this go from "Long Wait" to "Now." I put it at the top of my list and it went into "Released to Ship" immediately. We'll see how quickly that one ships.

15. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I've used Netflix and RentMyDVD and overall I'm happier with RentMyDVD. They have better customer service as far as I am concerned. When you write them and tell them that a disc hasn't arrived yet or that you mailed it back to them and hasn't showed up, they will immediately mark it as delayed and release the next disc to you.
    My complaints with them are their selection. A lot of genre movies go from Coming Soon to Not Available. They just don't buy a lot of the more obscure titles. I was disappointed that the don't seem to carry MGM's Midnight Movies (which you would think would pay for themselves since the discs only cost $9 a piece.)
    Also, they have decided to charge sales tax for people in Florida. I really have a problem with this since they aren't a Floridian company. I haven't decided whether I will continue with them or not. Once you add tax to their price, the price is either marginally less or marginally more than the local Blockbuster. If their selection was better, it would be a no brainer to stick with them to get the stuff that Blockbuster doesn't carry. But Blockbuster has dedicated almost half of the store to DVD and might have a better selection now.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones