Question to iPod owners out there...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Winston D, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Winston D

Winston D Agent

I am contemplating getting one. Are the new ones compatible to both Mac and PC? Or you have to choose the PC version or the Mac version?

Also, does it come with a software to convert my CD's to MP3's to transfer it to the iPod? I am new to this portable MP3 thing and would very much like to have thousands of songs to carry around with me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

The new ones work on both the PC and the Mac so you no longer need to specify which platform you are using.

It does come with Musicmatch for ripping your CD using Windows.

Down the road a Windows version of Itunes will be available so Windows Users will be able to rip in the new AAC format.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The mac/pc issue is really less complex than everyone seems to make it.

It's just a question of how the Hard Drive is formatted out of the box, and what software is bundled with it-- but in both cases, you can reformat the drive and download the software- so a MAC version can become PC and vice versa.

And, there are even applications out there that would allow you to leave it MAC format and still have your PC talk to it.

As far as software- I'm not a big fan of musicmatch (the PC app)-- so I used CDEX to rip the songs (which is highly recommended) and then something caled Ephipod to put songs on the pod. Not quite as "do it all automatically" as Musicmatch- but I'd rather have my own control.

-Vince

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Is it possible to upgrade the hard drive easily? I've got some spare 40gig notebook size drives which I believe are the same size as whats in the Ipod. Just wondering if they made the case openable or not.

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I stand corrected. Looks to be a PITA, though.

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

As previously mentioned, the new versions support both PCs and Macs, but everyone forgets to mention that they don't support them both at the same time. If you connect an iPod to a Mac, it'll be formatted to use the MacOS filesystem. If you connect it to a Windows PC, it'll format it for use there. So don't look to an iPod as a good cross platform file transfer mechanism.

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Don,

Read Vince's post. You can use a MacOS formatted iPod on a PC. There's a piece of software called MacOpener which allows Windows read MacOS drives. I haven't used it but it supposedly works really well for people who use both Macs and PCs.

10. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

11. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Yup, I noticed that while reading the links Vince posted.