What's new

Question: Spaced - R1? (1 Viewer)

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I could've sworn I read on a Web site last month that Edgar Wright posted similar information about a U.S. release on his Web site last month. Hadn't heard summer. Will keep fingers crossed. I rented what must've been a bootleg copy of Series 1 (six episodes on one disc) at a local video store last summer but the person who transfered the content to disc misformatted the image basically cropping out the entire top half of the image.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Even though I already have the Region 2 release, I'm seriously considering buying the R1 release to show my support of the original (and condemn this asinine American remake).

Matthew H

Second Unit
I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I've never seen it but I'm a huge fan of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Easily two of my all-time favorite films.

Any concrete details?

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. July 23 is a Wednesday. I hope he meant to say July 22 (which would be the traditional Tuesday release day).

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've seen a few episodes on Showcase and it's really funny, so I'll be buying the set when it comes out in July. Too bad Wright et al weren't told about the Americanized version--if it's quite bad, perhaps it will die quickly like the American version of Coupling.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I read the article on a website last month but can't remember which one. I have the three disc R2 release and knowing them, they may find some new bits to put on there to make me buy it again.

Hope so!

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
This is incredible news. Can't wait to get the set now. I've debated on and off again on picking up the R2 version (I have a PAL -> NTSC upconverting DVD player).

I've been a long time fan of Spaced and will be picking this up the day of release, guaranteed.

htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
No music changes, huh? That's terrific news! I wonder which studio is releasing this, because if there are truly no music changes, that's a great job by them. The only issue I could see with no music changes is a hefty price tag, which will probably only be an issue with casual buyers. I know that fellow Spaced fans like myself will have no problem paying a bit extra for uncut episodes.

I do wonder if "all the UK extras" includes the original commentaries, or if we're saddled with only these new commentaries. That'd be a shame if they left off the old commentaries.

Either way, no matter what happens with this set, I'll be buying it to show my support for the Spaced crew, and I just picked up the UK 3-disc Definitive Collection for an incredible price, so I'm covered. :)

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator

I was also wondering if all extras would be there including the commentaries.

I have the three-disc set as well and I hope he was referring to that when he made the comment.

I'm sure someone will post more when the info is out there.

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew
This is incredible news. I've been a long time fan of Spaced and can't wait to get my hands on the R1 set. Beautiful! Also, I can't wait to see "The World's End", their new collaboration. (*note: title may change apparently)

Roger_R

Second Unit
The one playing when SPACED rolls across the screen at the beginning of the second episode. They replaced it with another part of a tune that plays later in the same episode.

Curiously, the replaced music is available on the soundtrack CD.

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew
Woohoo.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
I can't believe they are finally releasing Spaced on R1 DVD here in the US. Thanks to all those who were responsible for bringing to the masses here.

However, I've got to say...who the hell approved the new cover art?? Yikes!! Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) don't even look like their real-life counterparts. Same goes for Mark Heap and Julia Deakin. Only Nick Frost and Katy Carmichael look correct. Why couldn't they have left well enough alone and used the UK Collector's edition cover art?

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Even though I care more about what the discs contain, I will also say that the cover art is atrocious. They didn't have to mess with a great piece of art like the Definitive R2 cover. Heck, even one of those live-action photos with the cast crowded together and looking upwards would have been better than this R1 art.

Also, it's disappointing that it looks like the original commentaries won't be featured on the R1 release. Looks like fans have even more reason to hang onto their R2 copies. Also, the wording on the press release makes me wonder if there's even going to be commentaries on each episode. For all we know it could be all 9 participants doing commentary on the pilot only. Or it could be that there are commentary tracks with one special guest alongside Wright, Pegg, and Hynes, which would only mean that 6 episodes would have commentary.

Even if every episode has commentary, that doesn't change the fact that it looks like the excellent original commentaries seem to be missing from this release.

And even with any of these flaws that might be present on the R1 release, I'll still buy it to show support, especially since (supposedly) all the music is intact.

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew
I agree Random Hero. I was ready to buy the R2 set a few weeks ago, until I found out the R1 was coming out and supposedly contained everything the R2 did.

It is a bit confusing as Edgar Wrights blog mentions that everything on the R2 will be on the R1, and now with the press release that vital bit regarding the original commentaries is missing. If indeed the originals are not included, then I'll plunk down the extra dough as 1) two of a good thing isn't bad and 2) any extra support for Jessica, Simon, Edgar, et all, is well deserved to begin with.

Regardless, can't wait to see the new cover art as according to TVshowsondvd.com what we saw was just a rough draft. (But I'm sure this common knowledge to the reader by now...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks