Question: Sony Wega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mijang, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Mijang

Mijang Agent

I am looking to upgrade my current 32" Sony TV to a Wega model and I am willing to spend between $800 and $1200. I would like the model to support progressive scan. I would also like a model that has a widescreen aspect ratio, although I have seen a 16:9 mode available on certain models, but I am not too certain as too what this implies. Is there any Sony player on the market that meets my criteria? Thanks!

2. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

I wrote you a lengthy response hours ago, tried to submit, got it bounced because of a bad password, and I lost it all.
    Anyway, you won't get a progressive WEGA in your price range.
    As for regular WEGAs, basically the 16x9 mode focuses (squeezes) the beam to concentrate the lines in the middle third of the screen. It mimics a widescreen tv. So, on your DVD player, you would tell it you have a widescreen tv, even though you don't. This makes letterboxed (technically, anamorphic - they are different) movies appear 33% sharper because it displays all the lines of the DVD instead of just 3/4 of them. Bottom line: sharper picture.
    Many brands do this. In the WEGAs, the FS series does this manually, the FV and XBR series do it automatically. (There are other differences as well.) At Circuit City, by way of example, the 36FS13 is $1200 after a $100 promotion, and the 32FS13 is $850 after a $50 promo. FV is a bit more, and XBR is even more. Go to www.sel.sony.com for specs.
    TVs are heavy, bulky and finicky. Whatever you get, get it at a place that will allow no-hassle returns. I usually swear off extended warranties, but given the difficulty with handling TVs, I just don't want the hassle. I'm currently in the market for the 32FS13; then again, maybe the 36FS13...

3. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I recently bought a Sony KV-32FV27 from Sears, pricematched at $985 from sharperdigital.com . The automatic squeeze is great, and this TV set is an all around great performer. Like Oren said, you're not going to find a widescreen TV in your price range, but for DVD viewing the FV Wegas will serve quite nicely.
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.